- 3 -

A v a l o n ' s   P O V

I was walking down one of the Mountains many winding corridors. The carved stone walls stretched up high before curving, creating an arch. The walls were lined with endless doors that led to various rooms that housed the inhabitants of the mountain. 

The torches held by the basic iron sconces that were arranged in uniform against the wall, cased a warm glow in the damp, cold hallway. I wasn't sure I would ever get used to the irony of the light in this hellish place. It was warm and comforting. The mountain was not a place I would wish on my greatest enemy's. 

It was cold.

 Every time I walked it's halls shivers went down my spine. Their were many things about this mountain that I don't think I would get use to. 

I would never get used to Amarantha's games.

I was often forced to participate in these games, cruel games, along with Rhysand. 

Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court, my mate. The insufferable male had mad it his own personal mission to be my greatest annoyance. He was arrogant and had perfected the talent of making me want to punch him, stab, possibly even castrate him. Oh how I would enjoy punching that smirk off his perfect face.

Despite all this I did not hate the male, he infuriated me, but I did not hate him. 

Well maybe a little bit. But however much I tried, I couldn't completely commit to the act of hatred. 

Not when he had held my hair back as I through up the contents of my stomach the first time I had been made to play with the Children of the Blessed that had crossed the wall, not after he had washed me after the first time Amarantha had used me for her personal needs, not after I had seen him wake up from countless nightmares. Not after we had felt the bond, not after we had both woken simultaneously form a dream about a human girl of the other side on the wall, not after the male had met the human girl who was falling in love with the High Lord of the Spring Court at Calanmai. 

I came to a halt in front of the door that looked just like all the rest that lined the never ending hallway.  It black, wooden surface was unmarked but after 40 years I could find the room with my eyes shut. 

I could see the shadow of my mate when I entered the room. He was sitting on the edge of the unmade bed, next to a desk, its surface remaining unseen due to the mountain of papers piled on top of it. 

I stepped into the room, closing the door behind me, and made my way into the bathroom. I sat on the lip of the bath, taking off my red heals before standing and walking over the the sink. I took the wash cloth in my hand and wiped my face clean of the glitter and color I was made to pain of my face everyday, I then reached back and unpinned my hair. Calloused hand undid the buttons of the red silk dress and pushed it off of my shoulders.

 I turned and meet Rhysands violet eyes. He handed me a bed shirt which I pulled over my head. 

"They made a deal. Three challenges, if she completes them all Amarantha will break the curse and let Tamlin and his people go." Rhys nodded, already knowing this. " They took her to the cells, after the Attor..." Rhys nodded again understanding what I was saying. He put his hand on my forearm, and then after questioning me with his eyes pulled me forward into his chest. 

He was warm. His wings curled around me, enveloping me into a bubble of warmth. I hadn't felt this kind of warmth for a long time. It wasn't like we had never hugged before, we had slept in the same bed almost every night for 40 years with and without Amarantha, but this was different. This hug, it held comfort, comfort and a silent promise that we would get out of this Cauldron forsaken place, to see our families again, and maybe that we would get to know each other somewhere untainted by the tyrants presence.

"We will be okay." 

"Yes we will."