chapter 4

TW in description

Song: Not a song for this chapter

Art for chapter: Not posted

'''

Luca's POV

That following morning was rough. Giulia spared Luca no remorse for his aching body, just multiple pillows slams. She gave up after about thirty hits and him not budging a bit.

"Santa Mozarella! Luca, rise! There's a letter for you. From, Signora Ra-" She squealed in terror as Luca sprung from the bed and ripped the letter from her grasp. She was balanced on one leg and staring at the now wide awake boy.

Luca ripped the envelope open and plunged into the letter. His eyes filled with delight with each sentence his mind digested. Giulia stared at him, just as curious as to what the letter said. After about three minutes she lost her patience and grabbed the letter and scanned the note.

"Luca!" Giulia gasped, covering her gaping mouth.

"I know-" Luca could hardly speak.

"Well pack! We have only a bit of time before the train comes and you'll wanna say your goodbyes. Hurry, hurry!"

Luca got to haste, packing simply needed items: clothing, some mementos, and his prized letters that he and Alberto had written to each other. Something that always could make him brighten a tad. He dragged his little suitcase to the front door and announced he'd be back soon. The last thing on his list was to say goodbye to his family. It didn't take long for him to swim his way to his little village.

"Mom!" Luca called out, peeking behind everything.

"Over here!"

Luca followed the voice and saw his mother cutting some seagrass and throwing it into a woven basket. She stood up and cracked her tense back, a series of bubble pops erupted from her spine. She pulled her son into a hug and rubbed his back.

"What's with the visit, my little bubble?" Daniela asked, pulling away from the hug.

"Well...I'm leaving for, France." Luca said shyly, looking upwards to avoid whatever reaction his mother was about to have.

"Oh...well what's the reason? Is it Alberto?" His mother asked.

"What? No, no, of course not. Pff, please," He waved the idea off and snorted a bit at her comment, "No, it's a woman who wants me to meet a man who is gonna give me a singing contract."

"I knew you were gonna get noticed!" She beamed. " It will be weird with you not being here, but we will all understand. And if you ever need anything you know you can just write to us, okay?" She cupped his cheek, her thumb grazing his cheekbone.

"Thank you mama...now let me say bye to papa before my train comes-" He jumped up and swam into the fields and found his father picking seashells. He embraced his father and shared a few words with him before waving goodbye to his parents. He went to say goodbye to his grandma quickly. He hugged her and reminded them he'd be back soon.

"Oh, don't worry about me. Promise me though, you'll reach out to Alberto?" His grandma requested as she shook her boney fish finger.

"I'll try." That was all Luca would answer.

He kissed her cheek and swam off, hurrying to the surface to gather all of his belongings and bid farewells to his friends. Giulia walked him to the station and gave him a soul-sucking hug.

"Giu-giuli-a, ca-can't, bre-eathe!" Luca wheezed. His body was nearly squished to a pulp in her strong embrace.

" Mi dispiace per quello..." She chuckled. Her breathing slowed as she calmed, staring at Luca intently. "Promise to write to me? And if you perform, send me and everyone back home tickets to come to watch you, okay?"