chapter 1

Past Memories
ALBERTO'S P.O.V

Alberto was waiting with Massimo at the train station. The two were waiting for Luca and Giulia to return from Genova. Alberto was excited to see the two but of course, there was always anxiety that came from not seeing his two friends for almost a year. Massimo placed his hand on Alberto's head and stroked it gently.

"There, there. It'll be alright, you three always connect when seeing each other again." Massimo said with a gentle smile. He always knew what to say.

Alberto nodded and let himself breathe, something he didn't realize he was holding himself from doing. The fresh air helped his nerves, the wet smell from a morning drizzle had a sweet, earthy scent to it. Alberto took a deep breath, quickly wheezing it out when he heard the loud, blaring train horn down the tunnel. Both him and Massimo turned their heads to the upcoming train that was pulling up. Alberto stood to his feet hastily and peered like a curious bird at the train. Massimo rose to his feet and popped out his dainty umbrella.

"Come Alberto. Let's go meet them." Massimo said, talking Alberto by the shoulder and pulling him under the umbrella with him.

Alberto was stiff as a board as he walked closer and closer to the stopped train. Nothing soothed him when it came to seeing his friends after almost nine months. His breaths were quick and small, his foot tapped rapidly; making the small water puddles splatter over Massimo's shoes.

"Figlio, it's okay. Deep breathe." Massimo reassured. He did the breaths with his son and smiled softly, warming Alberto despite being in the cold.

The train door opened and out came a girl with curly red hair. She dashed over to the two and jumped on Massimo, getting an 'oof' out of him.

"Giulia, my piccola ragazza, how I missed you!" Massimo said, hugging his daughter tightly with his one arm. He gave her little smooches on the top of her head.

"Ah, Papa! Stop, you spoil me too much." Giulia squealed with a bright smile.

She jumped down from Massimo's arms and jumped to Alberto, squeezing the life out of him.

"Alberto! How I've missed you." She said, hugging her dear brother. "And you've gotten what, an inch taller! I win though, I grew three inches; beat that Alberto." She said with a cocky grin, blowing off her pretend painted nails.

"Please, keep feeding that ego and maybe your head will grow bigger too! I am much taller than you Giulia. Accept it." Alberto said, crossing his arms, a satisfied look plastered on his face.

"Why you!" She said, gasping and about to smack him with her shoe.

" Children, please. Let's not fight today, we must celebrate! Where is Luca?" Massimo asked, not seeing him step off.

"Oh, probably grabbing his suitcase. Let me go get him." Giulia explained before hopping back onto the train. She later returned with him. "Here he is!" She exclaimed, doing a little fake trumpet noise.

Luca followed behind her and peeked past her fuzzball hair. He locked eyes with Alberto and smiled. He ran to Alberto and pulled him into a hug. He hadn't changed much, still short and smaller than Alberto. Though he did have glasses that suited him quite well. His face did mature over the past four years of him leaving and returning to Portorosso. He had a more defined face, the rounder frame gone. His eyes were still the same maple brown color, radiating even more with beauty. His freckles were a tad faint due to the spring but would surely stand out during the summer. His body was much more elongated and "adult" like. He was a very handsome man to put it that way.

"Alberto, I missed you so much." Luca breathed out, hugging his dearest friend.

"I've missed you just as much. How was school? Oh and choir! You'll have to tell me all about it on the way home." Alberto said, pulling from the hug and clutching Luca's hands in his.