chapter 2

TW in description

Song for this chapter: YKWIM by Yot Club

Alberto's P.O.V

Alberto woke to a soft, warming touch around his chest. He melted into the embrace, knowing this was the only chance for him to ever feel this way alone with the one person he felt so passionately about. He stayed in this comforting hold for a moment longer, though it seemed like a fraction of a second, then got up, knowing he only had so much time before the train to his new future would come to get him. He gently lifted Luca's arm and slipped it past him as he made his quick escape. He grabbed a brown letter boy jacket, his lucky cap Massimo gifted him for his birthday, and hurried for the streets.

He made his way to the fish shop and helped Massimo for a few hours, prepping crates of fish that would last Massimo a while to make up for his absence. Alberto loaded the last of the fish and was ready to take off when a big, sandpaper texture hand grabbed his shoulder.

" Figlio, sit down. You look like a cat on drugs." Massimo said, forcing Alberto down in a chair.

"Ah, sorry. I'm just thinking a lot. But don't worry Papa, I'm okay." Alberto smiled softly and held Massimo's massive hands.

Massimo's bushy brows knitted together. His mouth opened but nothing came out. He hummed and nodded.

"Better get going then. Finish packing, I'll bring you a surprise before you leave." Massimo said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Alberto nodded and rose. On his way out, Massimo called his name. Alberto turned around to face his father.

"I love you son. You'll be okay." Massimo said and made a heart with his hands.

Alberto's lips quivered slightly and he did the gesture back. It was something he and Massimo started when Giulia had left for Genova. He waved goodbye and walked out the door. He looked to the city clock and read the time.

11:30 am

"Oh no." He gasped, clasping his hand over his mouth.

He took off. He only had barely twenty minutes before his train would arrive. He still needed to say goodbye to Luca and Giulia. Alberto hadn't told Luca he was leaving though, he couldn't bring himself to look Luca in the eye and tell him. He did tell Giulia though and had her vow not to spill to Luca, that he would do it himself. A lie of course but it was a lie to protect Luca. Alberto crashed through the front door and practically climbed the stairs like a mad man.

"Luca!" Alberto called out, entering Luca's room without a knock or invite.

His room was empty. Everything looked untouched as well. Alberto thought he was possibly still sleeping in his room but when he checked his bed was empty, the slightest difference was that his bed was put together nicely. Alberto didn't waste a moment asking Giulia where Luca was.

"Where is Luca? Have you seen him?" Alberto asked, looking at her with a dying plea for her to say where.

"He didn't mention. Just said he was going out and that he'd be back soon." Giulia said.

Alberto sighed and left, closing Giulia's door softly. He was too late. All he could do what wait for Luca and hopefully be able to say goodbye before his train arrived. He had his suitcase ready and was waiting for the train. Massimo had gifted him several lovely oil paints, knowing that was Alberto's favorite media of art. Giulia had escorted Alberto to the station, joking with him to keep his mind from the swarming thoughts.

"You'll have to paint a portrait of me!" Giulia told him and struck a pose with an extremely ugly face." I'll send you a photo in the mail for reference."