chapter 3

TW in description
Song: Hey Lover! by Wabie

'''

Luca's POV

It'd been two years since Alberto had chosen to up and go. It was hard on everyone; eventually everyone found themselves going back into their daily routines. Luca was the first to do so. After about three weeks of crying himself to sleep, he vowed to himself to put this behind him and temporarily forget about Alberto. The first step was leaving Alberto's room for good and everything that reminded him of that traitor.

He'd received multiple letters from him; every single one was kept away in his desk. Perhaps someday he'd read one, just one. Letters weren't the only countless distractions he had. Giulia made it a routine to call Alberto every day she could. Each time she would mention Luca's name Alberto would ask if he could talk to him; Luca objected and one day asked Alberto to give him some time. Luca remembered that moment very vaguely.

''' flashback

Luca came out of his room to grab a plate of Massimo's dinner. He could hear Giulia talking; it was the nightly call with Alberto. Luca sighed, closing his eyes to prep himself for another dreaded, awkward call with Alberto. Giulia caught Luca in the corner of her eye.

"Oh, Luca, come say hi to Alberto." Giulia got up and walked to Luca. Luca waved her away.

"I'd rather not..." Luca whispered loud enough for her to hear.

"Luca?" Someone, well, Alberto said on the other side.

Luca's mind snapped; he was nearly about to take that phone and spill everything out to his long-lost friend. But he didn't. He cleared his throat.

"Hey, Alberto."

"Luca, how are yo-"

"Actually, I have something to ask you." Luca cut him off, wanting to end their conversation as quickly as he could.

"Oh...okay, what's up?"

Luca's heart was pounding. Then, the words just slipped out.

"Please...please stop writing to me and...talking to me. I still need time. Goodbye." Luca turned away swiftly, leaving both Giulia and Alberto silent.

''' end of flashback

Luca grumbled, rubbing his aching temples. Weeks of crying really take a toll on someone's head, preferably temples in Luca's case. His head was also scrambling for an escape for one major reason. He was writing a song. Giulia had suggested that he write a song since he already had the voice. It's just the topic he was struggling with. How about, ' My best friend leaving me' , or ' My mind is jumbled and confused when I hear your voice or even think about you ' . He absolutely hated feeling this way.

He put the song writing to the side and got back to work.

,,,

A sweet symphony took up the silent absence in the store. The few customers there looked about; hoping they would find whoever was singing so beautifully. It was Luca. He'd been stationed in the back of the store, simple cleaning and having sheets of paper ready to wrap fish. Unlike, Alberto, who would stand the odor the dead fish gave off; Luca simply couldn't stand the pungent smell the deceased creature created.

"Who is that singing?"

People chattered about whoever was singing was lucky to have a voice like his. Luca couldn't help but glow after hearing such compliments. He continued singing his simple songs. The children in Portorosso knew the songs he sang very well because it was the common choir songs schools in Genova taught. Giulia had tried choir out with Luca, his first year there; her voice was too powerful to sustain the softer melodies the teacher enforced on the young ladies there. Giulia ended up quitting choir that following semester.