sixteen

hello hello hellooooo. i hope everyone is having a great friday. hopefully it's better than mine. i'm feeling a little under the weather, but i have classes to do, updates to finish, and edits to procrastinate! but on the bright side, i got an A on my exam for physics😁

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: mentions of death, fighting, minimal swearing
word count: 3541

Penelope: "Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things." Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Okay, I think we are all packed for this play date. Remember to be extra kind to Miss Angie for picking you up. I want you two on your best behavior," JJ said as she zipped up the two backpacks in front of her.

She was exhausted from doing laundry, chasing the two boys around, and getting them ready to go. Not to mention the semi-burnt pancakes that were topped with strawberries and whip cream. Henry and Michael utilized all of JJ while she was home to the best of their abilities.

"Alright. Let's go," JJ said and grabbed both the bags for the boys. Henry and Michael followed after JJ closely as she made her way down the stairs. The blonde woman shuffled both boys to the door. Mentally, she was going through all the things she packed in case she missed something.

"Are you going to make dinner tonight?" Henry asked and looked up at his mom. JJ looked down at her son and smiled.

"Of course. I'll even make some dessert if your dad gets home early," JJ said and ruffled Henry's hair. "Sound like a deal?"

Henry didn't say anything as he just wrapped his arms around her. JJ was taken back by the tight grip but snaked her arms around his protectively.

"You're the best, mom," Henry said softly. JJ smiled softly as she leaned her head down and kissed the top of his head. Just then, she felt another pair of arms wrap around her legs. She glanced over and saw Michael there with his eyes shut tightly. One of JJ's hands went down and ran through his hair.

"I try to be," JJ whispered as she closed her eyes. If she could, she'd lived in this moment forever. That was until she heard a honk come from outside. She sighed softly as both boys broke away from her. "Behave, both of you."

Henry and Michael both agreed to before giving their mother one last hug and kiss goodbye. JJ watched as the two of them ran out of the house and towards the car. She watched as their friend's mother rolled down her window and waved her off.

JJ stood there at the door for a second, relishing in the quiet afternoon. Will was out at work for a few hours. The blonde woman was alone with all her thoughts once again. She had a love-hate relationship with the quietness. It was a moment's peace but also a hell in disguise. JJ shut the door, closing herself off to the world as she made herself comfortable on the seat in the kitchen.

"Do you think this was a mistake?" Emily asked as she looked down at JJ. The two of them were happily naked and wrapped in JJ's bedsheets. They had spent their last energy on each other after coming back from the case in Alaska. JJ looked up at her as she wrapped her arms around Emily.

"Do you think it was?" JJ asked gently. Her heart tugged at the thought of hearing the wrong answer to her question. "We can never speak about it again if that's what you--"

"No," Emily said and ran her hand down JJ's back. Her eyes had a look of hurt in them. She'd never want to forget about everything that happened between her and JJ. She couldn't imagine a world where this relationship didn't exist anymore. "JJ, if I was going to regret this, I wouldn't have done it."