fourteen

hello hello happy pride month everyone!🫶

i'm not excited about my university summer courses starting next week but i'm nearly done with my degree. please bare with me as the times for updates might fluctuate😅

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: NSWF suggested, cheating
word count: 3718

JJ: "The soul is healed by being with children." Fyodor Dostoevsky.

"Okay," Emily said as she walked into the living room with a towel wrapped around her. She sighed softly as she looked around at her, now, neatly clean apartment. She spent the last two hours doing a deep clean from room to room, then jumped into the shower for forty-five minutes. "Almost done. Almost done."

It wasn't unusual that JJ would come over to Emily's apartment for a nightly getaway. In fact, it was quite common for them to happen. But Emily wanted to make each time just as special as the time before. So she cleaned, went grocery shopping, and even used a new body wash that she thinks would be better than the last.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Emily practically ran to the kitchen where her phone was. She took a deep breath in to hide the fact that she was winded before answering. "Hello?"

"Hey," JJ said softly. Emily didn't like the tone of that greeting from her JJ. The raven-haired woman leaned against the counter and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Uh oh," Emily said softly. "It sounds like you're coming to give me some bad news. What's going on?"

"Will's shift got extended until midnight. Something about him needing to do patrols with some newbies. He just called right now," JJ said and pursed her lips. "I'm sorry, I really wanted to go with you toni—"

"Come over," Emily said and leaned over the counter. JJ chuckled nervously, she didn't think Emily was serious.

"Wait you're not kidding," JJ said as she glanced over at the two boys that were on the couch. She took a few steps back until she was out of earshot from her sons. "I thought it was going to be a wine and dine at home night? Candles, a large wine selection, and maybe—"

"Well," Emily said and tried to hide the smirk that was taking over her face. "That can happen another day. You're a mom, and I have a house. Plus I have all the ingredients for a super delicious batch of cookies. I also have some strawberries and some chocolate melts that are calling your name to come and devour. I promise to keep the dirty thoughts when you're eating them at a minimum."

"Mmm," JJ said and tried to suppress the dirty thoughts she was having at this moment. "Are you sure? The boys won't be easy to put down."

"I think I can handle my own godsons," Emily said and smiled softly. "I'll get everything set up, okay? Just let me know when you get here. The towel I'm in isn't very suitable to be seen in."

"I beg to differ, but just for me of course. Bye," JJ said and hung up the phone. She bit her lip hard trying to suppress the image of Emily in just her towel right now. Henry and Michael were lost in their own little world while watching the superhero movie on the TV. "Alright boys. Who wants to go on an adventure?"

"Where are we going?" Henry asked and looked back at his mother. JJ walked closer to the couch and pointed at her son.

"That, little spawn, is a secret until we arrive," JJ said and squinted her eyes. Henry mirrored his mother perfectly, holding still as they waited for the other to move. JJ finally broke and reached forward, swiping her hand through Henry's hair. "Come on. Let's get ready to go."