Today Meredith was finally getting her arm cast off today. She would still need a brace for a while, but she would finally be able to use crutches.

The kids were with Carolyn, and Meredith and Derek arrived at the hospital. They went up to the ortho floor and checked in.

"Come on back, Grey." Callie said with a smile as she lead them to an exam room. "How's everything feeling?" She asked as she got the saw ready.

"Good. Legs a little sore sometimes, but not bad." Meredith replied. "That's normal. Ready to get that cast off?" Callie asked. "Uh, yeah." Meredith said.

Meredith held Derek's hand tightly as Callie began cutting off the casts. "All done. How's it feel?" She asked.

"Weird." Meredith said, flexing her hand and moving it slightly. "It'll feel odd for a little while. I'm still going to give you a brace just for stability that I want you to wear until it starts feeling better." Callie explained.

"There's no nerve damage, right? I'll still be able to operate and everything?" Meredith asked. "No nerve damage. Your arm might get a little tired quicker than usual, but that won't be permanent. I'm going to give you some exercises you can do to strengthen it." Callie answered.

"Okay. Thank you." Meredith said, looking down at her scarred arm. "Here's the brace." She said, sliding it on. "And I keep this on everyday all day?"

"Yes." Callie replied. "Okay. I can use crutches now, right? When can I walk?" Meredith asked. "At least two more weeks. I want another MRI though, to see how the healings going before. Right now, crutches." Callie said, grabbing them and handing them to her.

"Awesome." Meredith said with a grin. Finally, some of her independence back. "Have you used them before?" Callie asked.

"Yeah. Broke my ankle in 9th grade." Meredith replied. "You did? How?" Derek asked in surprise. "I saved my friend from a fire." Meredith replied casually. "What? Really?" Callie asked.

"No, I tripped on a tree root. But if anyone asked, I saved my friend from a fire." Meredith smiled. "Alright, you're good to go then. Here are the exercises you can do. Pretty simple. Have a good one, guys. Sofia wants a play date with Zola, by the way." Callie said.

"We'll set that up. Thanks, Callie." Derek replied as they walked out together.

"Grey! Grey!" Baileys rushed voice called out as she came over. "What's up?" Meredith asked in concern. "I need you to look at some scans. I know your not technically working, but the general guy who's here for you temporarily is an idiot." Bailey explained.

"Let's go. Derek, why don't you get yourself a surgery?" Meredith offered. "Are you sure?" Derek asked. "Yeah. I'm surgery deprived and might have to watch one." She replied.

"Okay. Love you. If you need anything call me." Derek said. "Love you too." Meredith said back as she crutched off with Bailey.

•••

A few hours later, Derek came out of a surgery he found and found his wife in the gallery, watching baileys surgery intently.

"How was your surgery?" Meredith asked. "How'd you know I was here?" Derek replied. "I know everything. How was it?"

"It was good. I missed the OR. Did you diagnose this one?" He asked, sitting down next to her. "Yeah. It was tricky to see on the scans, that's why Bailey couldn't see it." Meredith replied.

"Nice. How much longer?" Derek asked. "A few minutes. We can go now." Meredith said, standing up. "Want ti stop somewhere for dinner or pick something up?" Derek asked as they walked out together.

"We should get McDonalds." Meredith said eagerly. "Okay." Derek chuckled. "Meredith, Derek. How are you guys?" Richard asked as he came up to them.

"Good. Just got her cast off." Derek replied. "That's great. One step closer to the operating room." Richard said. "Anyways, Derek when are you coming back? Nelson isn't holding up the department like you do, and he has a big lawsuit coming his way." Richard asked.

"I still have 2 weeks off." Derek replied. "You can come in sooner. Your mom is still home, and I don't have that stupid chair anymore." Meredith said.

"I...maybe I can come back a week sooner." He said. "That's fine. So say next Monday?" Richard asked. "That works." Meredith replied. "Awesome. Thanks, Shep." Richard smiled before walking away.

•••

They got home and Meredith sat down on the couch. "Hi mama!" Zola said with a big smile. "Hi zozo. Did you have fun with grandma?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah!" Zola exclaimed as Carolyn came downstairs with Bailey in her arms. "This little man just woke up. He's very cuddly." Carolyn said with a smile.

"Come here, little man." Meredith cooed as Carolyn handed bailey to her. Meredith smiled at the feeling of finally being able to hood her son with two arms.

"How was your appointment? Everything good?" Carolyn asked. "Yeah. Dereks going back next week instead of two weeks. Apparently the department is falling apart without him." Merefitn said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm just that good." Derek said, boasting his ego. "Whatever." Merefitn scoffed as he sat down next to her, kissing baileys head and merefith quickly.

"Thank you for watching them, mom. I know you probably want to get home to the girls." Derek said. "Oh, it's no problem. I see them much more than I see you guys." Carolyn responded.

"We really appreciate it." Merefitn ssid. "You guys are family. I'll stay how ever long you need me to."

Hey guys!!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. As always, if you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to drop them. Thanks for reading!!