17. Rest

[Paul’s POV]

    The screaming and crying are never ending it seems. He could hear every bone break from outside. It sounded awful, it sounded painful. He could hear his packmates, his brothers, whimper with every cry. He could see Billy clutching onto Sue like his life depended on it. He saw Seth, the loud energetic Seth, quiet and somber. His whimpers are the loudest, there are tears in his eyes but he can see that he won’t let them fall. He hears Doc and Naiyah trying to ease the pain, but it’s not helping. Everyone is so quiet. He can’t even tell how much time has passed. 

     Everything in his entire being is shaking right now. From fear or anger, he can’t tell. Or maybe it was adrenaline from the fight, he can see and think clearly now. Himself and the rest of the pack are finally catching their breaths, but their nerves are just as high. 

     They knew what they were getting themselves into when they agreed with the bloodsuckers to help them fight. They knew that they might get hurt, that they might even be killed. They were willing to risk their lives so their people wouldn’t be hurt. They knew all of this, but that doesn’t make them less afraid of what might happen to one of their own.

     Even if Jake did get on his nerves most of the time, he didn’t want this to happen. Maybe he was just optimistic about this whole battle, just wistful thinking on how everything was going to turn out.

     He imagined that everything would go smoothly, that no one was going to be hurt. That as soon as the fight was over he was going to ask Naiyah on a date. But now doesn’t seem like a good time. Especially now since Jake is hurt and that there was another bloodsucker in the territory. And said bloodsucker was at his imprint's home. At least he hoped the vampire didn’t try to run off. 

     His train of thought was broken when he heard a familiar red truck pulled into the driveway. Thankfully it was just the leech lover. Her face showed nothing but fear and worry. He could feel a small tightening in his chest, knowing that this plain white girl had her leech and Jake wrapped around her finger. He would never understand why Jake loved her so much, if you could call it love. But he pitted him, she would always care for him, but he knew she would never return the same feelings.

     Bella runs up to the rest of the group, “Hey is Jake-” she’s cut off by another scream. He could see most of the pack flinch at the sound.

     “It’s been going on for a while now.” Quil says gruffly standing next to the door. A clear frown on his face, just like the rest of the group.

     “Doc and Naiyah are breaking his bones.” Jared spoke next, his voice shaking. 

     “He didn’t have to butt in, I could have taken that thing-” Leah jumped in, her body shaking from left over adrenaline.

     “Oh give it a rest Leah, now is not the time.” I said, stopping her from continuing. The fight was over and done with, no use grasping at what ifs.

     It took a few seconds before I realized that the screaming stopped. And a moment later the door opened. The Doctor, Naiyah and Sam came out with tired faces.

     “The worst is over now, I gave him morphine, but his body temperature will burn it off soon. I’ll come back to give him a drip.” Carlisle said to Billy. He could see relief on everyone's faces. It is over now.

     “Thank you.” Billy looked the Doc in the eye, holding out his hand. Never in his lifetime had he seen any of the elders look at Cullen in gratitude. Then again this was also the first time he saw a leech return the favor. Both men shook hands, a silent agreement of temporary peace between them. He wondered how long this peace would last. Hopefully a good while.