11. You've Got A Fast Car

Rosalie
Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

My eyes slowly opened, my vision slightly blurred, and I pushed myself into a sitting position. I didn't what time it was and I truly didn't care. Summer was a time that I got to sit around and actually do nothing for a portion of my day.

My phone rang. Like I said, I could sit around and do nothing for a portion of my day. I knew, from the familiar chiming ringtone, that this call was from the one and only Jake. Before I answered it, I checked the time. Middle of the afternoon. Good, this won't be a drunk phone call.

I presses the green answer button and with sigh said," hello?" I waited a second for him to say something back. I could tell from the noise in the background that he was somewhere outside.

"Hi!" Jake said happily. I didn't have to see his face to know he was smiling while he spoke. But his smile didn't make me happy. My heart didn't flutter at the sound of his voice. I more wanted to punch him rather than sit in my closet and tell him about my hopes and dreams.

"Listen, Jake-" I was stopped as he interrupted me. I was going to tell him that I couldn't talk -a total lie- but I didn't get the chance.

"No! Don't say anything! Just get dressed and meet me in your drive way in like twenty minutes."

"Jake, I just woke up and-" he interrupted me again.

"Please?" He pleaded.

I was close to just hanging up before he started begging but I didn't really see the harm in brushing my hair, going outside, and maybe getting a free meal out of the whole ordeal. "Fine," I said, shaking my head, although he couldn't see me.

"Yes!" He said in an almost victorious way. I rolled my eyes slightly, laughing gently at his personality. He was fearless when he spoke to me. Maybe it was the fact that he really liked me, but I refused to acknowledge the fact because even though I didn't want to be rude, the feelings weren't mutual. I had hoped that one day he would get the gist but I had to give him points for never giving up.

"See you in twenty minutes?" He asked to verify.

"See you in twenty minutes." I confirmed.

I sighed heavily and hung up the phone. I really didn't want to get out of my bed. I was so very comfortable and my pillow smelled heavenly. It took a minute to realize why, though. It was because of my hair; my hair smelled like Danny. And without a doubt, no matter how much of an ass he was, he smelled uniquely wonderful. In an oily sense.

I shook the thought from my head, focusing on Jake. Was I going to dress semi-fancy? Makeup or not? The most trivial questions were now before me. But with no more than a moments thought, I decided on jeans and a blouse like tank top that I found on the floor by my jeans. It was just blue, simple and casual, but I looked like I put some effort into myself.

I found sandals tucked slightly under my bed and pulled them on while I slipped my phone into my pocket and made my way to my door. I trotted down to the bath room and shut the door behind me. My hair was an utter mess, tangled and disheveled. But my brush saved the day on that one and I was content with my nature, boring, wavy brown hair.

I glanced down briefly at my makeup back that sat neatly on the counter top. Raising an eye brow, I thought through the most trivial of the questions I had. Makeup or not? I paused. Not. I smiled at myself in the mirror and turned away, heading out of the door and descending down the stair case.

Buckley was, of course, sat on the couch, eyes glue to the tv, God knows where my mother was, and my dad was leaning forward onto the counter, eyes fixed on is laptop screen. "Dad, I'm going out." I said plainly as I strolled down the dimly lit hall way.