10. Pompeii

Author's note: So I've got a severe sinus infection and brain fog right now- the next few chapters may or may not make sense before editing so just bare with me here😅

Taylor

In my dreams, I watch as the entire state of New York catches fire- unable to do anything. I scream over and over again- begging god to make it stop but he does nothing. Slowly, I begin to lose faith it him. I mean, what's the point in an all powerful god watching from above if he's not going to do anything to help his creations?

  The state levels out to nothing but piles and piles of ash. Wind patterns blow it across the world, destroy air quality, make most of the soil in North and South America unfarmable. Food prices rise and general health declines. Seventy two million people die in five years and it's all my fault. At some point, some government official shoots me in the back of the head.

I wake up sweating.

It is my day off so instead of getting up with Rhea, I lay in bed a bit longer- listening to her rummage around in the bathroom.

  "So I had an interesting conversation with an investigative-reporter friend of mine." She says.

  "Yeah?"

  "She says you were the one that discovered the police station massacre."

  "Mhmn...."

  "Taylor." She sternly mumbles. "Jesus Christ you could have called me so I could help you out with legal-"

  "I'll be fine, trust me." I interrupt, forcing myself to sit up.

  "But-"

  "Rhea you cannot pay my way out of every issue I have in life." That and the literal devil is on my side... I think.

  "Sure I can. What else is a billionaire best friend good for?" She stumbles around looking for her phone. "Whatever's going on with you-"

"Nothing's going on.... with me." I lie. "Now go... go open up the shop."

I follow her to the front door, one thought stuck in my head: Her curiosity's going to become a problem. The question is of whether or not she'll be able to handle what I have without exploding and shitting herself at the same time.

  I love her- platonically- but I breathe a sigh of relief when she closes the door behind her.

  Is this what it's come to? Being relieved your best friend is gone? What the fuck's happening to me?

"You handled that pretty well-"

  "WHAT THE FUCK!!" I scream at the unfamiliar female voice less than two feet away from my ear. Lucifer stands beside her laughing. "You have to stop doing that."

  "Oh come on it's a little funny-"

  "No! Not even a little bit and... how did you get in... never mind. Stupid question. What's your name?" I ramble, my attention on the stranger. Her hair is unnaturally silky and curly, not a single visible knot despite reaching her waist. Freckles dot her face but they seem to be permanent as opposed to the on-again off-again relationship mine have with the sun. The edge of a red circle with some sort of symbol in the middle peeks out from behind her dress strap. Her figure is the most human thing about her and the pink sundress makes it more so- but she pulls it off strangely well.

  I spend a second reevaluating my sexuality before remembering it doesn't work like that. Sure, she is attractive- but not in that way. Not to me at least, from the way lucifer glances at her.