Chapter 9

Techno grinned as Phil puffed out his feathers after another playful hit to the head. They had been shoving each other around most of the night while the Piglin tried his best to keep a conversation going with the other hybrid in the room. Phil was a bit annoyed at the fact that he could barely take part, only able to show his opinion through chirps or gentle hits with his wing or his beak.

Ranboo fully lost his fear of the large crow, taking almost every opportunity he gets to stroke through the black feathers. Phil allowed the young Enderman to do as he pleases, as it didn't hurt or make him feel uncomfortable. The three only noticed that they had stayed up all night when the first rays of sunlight started to filter into the room.

"It's morning already?" Ranboo yawned and stretched his long limbs, rubbing his eyes afterwards. "I never stayed up the whole night before... only partly when I had nightmares." Phil cawed softly and nudged the Enderman towards the edge of his nest. He won't allow the poor boy to force himself through the day if he's so tired.

"Phil what are you-" Ranboo fell into the nest, face first into a stray pillow. A large, soft wing covered his body and immediately made him feel much warmer. "No. I can't stay... I have to..." Whatever protest he had was stopped by another long yawn. Phil chirped and wrapped his wing around the boy a little tighter. He can't deny that he sees the hybrid as part of his murder, his flock, maybe even his hatchling.

In a matter of moments, the Enderman was asleep, curled up like a cat under the protection of soft black feathers. "You're such a dad..." Phil huffed and went to peck Techno on the head again. "Oh come on, you can't deny it. You adopt almost every teenager you see, including all your crows. It's like being a parent is your hobby." Techno only got an annoyed look before Phil got a bit more comfortable to sleep himself.

"I'll contact Tubbo and tell him Ranboo is sleeping." Phil lifts his head, eying his friend suspiciously. How did he know the hybrid wanted to go back to Tubbo? "I'm not stupid, I know he lives with that goat boy. He's too protective of him whenever we bring it up." 'Fair enough.'

Techno got up and left the room, leaving his two friends to catch some shut eye. Teasing his friend about his parental instincts was always fun, even if the Piglin was just as protective of the newest member of their little commune out here. Who would't be? The poor boy is an easy target with his memory issues and optimistic approach to other people.

Taking out his communicator, he typed a quick message to Tubbo.

You whispered to Tubbo_: Ranboo is asleep and won't be back for a few hours.

Tubbo_ whispered to you: He never sleeps that long. What did you do?

You whispered to Tubbo_: Nothing. We stayed up all night chatting and lost track of time. He got really interested in one of Phil's stories again.

Tubbo_ whispered to you: If he is hurt when he gets back, I will nuke your home.

You whispered to Tubbo_: I'd like to see you try.

Tubbo_: whispered to you: I'm not scared of you.

You whispered to Tubbo_: Sure you are. Tell Tommy to give me my second trident back before he regrets it. I know he's with you.

He put his communicator away, not interested in any further conversation with the ex president. As much as he dislikes the goat hybrid, he forced himself to be somewhat nice to him, for Ranboo's sake. His stomach started to rumble, so he decided to make himself a simple breakfast and just read until the two sleepy heads upstairs decide to get up.

While the potatoes were in the oven, he looked out the window, watching a handful of crows hop around in the snow. Some were still pecking at the bones from their late evening meal. 'I should get rid of that... the bones could be useful for the farm.' He'll do that sometime during the day, not now.

A flash of green between the trees caught his attenton. It was only there for a split second, but he definetly saw it. 'Someone is out there...' His hand wrapped around the hilt of his axe, gripping it tightly. Whoever or whatever it was, he won't let it get near his friends, his family.

Blood! Kill it! Protect them! Protect Phil! Blood! TechnoKill! Get them! Protect the child! Kill! Kill! Blood! KILL!

He growled and turned of the oven, just in case. As quickly as he could, the hybrid grabbed his cloak and boots. A glance out the window rewared him with another flash of bright green between the trees, followed by something dark. 'What is that thing?' Carefully, he made his way out of the basement exit, creeping towards the forest. Whatever it was, he will kill it.

The forest was dark even with the sun slowly rising higher into the sky. It was quiet, too quiet. No birds singing, no small animals running around, not even the trees were making any sound. It's as if the whole forest was holding it's breath, waiting for something.

Or someone.

A shriek from the trees made Techno's blood freeze. He recognized it immediately. A crow, crying out in fear. An alarm for the murder to flee from the danger. A warning that something, someone, was coming. He could hear his heart pounding in his ears as he gripped the handle of his axe a little tighter.

A branched snapped somewhere behind him. His instincts took control, the voices roaring in anger as he spun around and swung his axe. A disgusting sound rang through the forest as the sharp netherite blade slit through flesh with ease. Blood splattered onto the cold ground below and his clothes, some drops covering the bone mask on his face.

The body fell to the ground, dead. It looked human, a green cloak wrapped around it, now soaked in blood. Techno slowly grabbed the hood and dragged it back, revealing the lifeless eyes of a person he didn't recognize. It was a male, from what he could tell. No weapons or armor, just the bright green cloak.

'Who would wear a cloak like that? It would easily attract someone's attention.'

A trap! Get home! Trap! Save them! Phil! Get home now! Hurry!

Of course... a distraction. Techno turned on his heal and ran back home. He had locked the doors... no one could have gotten in... they have to be safe. He can save them. A shriek made his blood freeze again. Even with the voice distorted by shrieks of a crow, he would recognize it anywhere. The cry was a familiar signal, no matter in what body he was. Another shriek, even louder than the last one.

Phil was calling for help.