Chapter 3: Carys

Carys' POV

"The wild? Why? Is your dad ill again?" I can tell by the panic in her voice that something bad is happening out there.

"Not my dad, Emilia, Matei's sister. He's asked me to bring Dr Whitewood," she takes my hand and we rush out of her flat, through the Kafe and head to Segolia. A boy runs up alongside us; Matei. I recognise him from the TV interviews he's done with Jana. He doesn't look at me, he just runs straight ahead with a terrified look on his face. We reach Segolia just as Rebecca runs out and gets into her car, we get in and set off. There is an obvious tension between Matei and me already.

"So, Emilia is your sister?" I ask him. He's so worried, I just think talking might help.

"Yeah," he answers, staring straight ahead.

"I'm Carys," I smile weakly, but he stays silent.

"What exactly did Aran tell you, Matei?" Dr Whitewood asks.

"He just said she's been ill for months and getting weaker every day, and that something is wrong with her leg, she can't walk on it. I asked to talk to her and he said she can barely speak because her throat is so sore. I should never have let her stay there,"

"It wasn't your choice Matei," Jana says, "She would have stayed no matter what you said. I'm sure she'll be fine," Jana turns around in her seat and takes his hand. I don't really know how to feel, but Jana is Matei's Alpha, she's just doing her best to comfort him.

The journey is long, we drive until dawn and we find ourselves at a stop in the woods.

"We go on foot from here," Jana says, "Matei you should run to her, do you remember the way?" He nods. "Stay safe and we'll see you there soon," she hugs him, and he runs off into the darkness.

Jana and I help Dr Whitewood carry all of her medical equipment.

"Do you know what could be wrong with her?" I ask Rebecca.

"There's no telling until I see for myself. Could be anything."

I look at Jana, she's worried, I am too. "How does she even have a phone in the wild?" I ask Jana.

"She keeps it turned off at all times and Gwyn and Cadwr help her keep it hidden from everyone. She only uses it if she wants to see Matei or if something happens, like this. But it's not uncommon for wild Wolfbloods to get ill, especially if they used to be tame."

"Well, judging by the way you talk about your friends, she's strong, and she'll get through it. Especially with you for an Alpha," I smile at her.

She looks so terrified, all I want to do is hold her like I used to and tell her everything is going to be okay, but I know I can't. I don't know whether to fight for her or let her make her own choice. But right now, our little love triangle is probably the last thing on her mind.

We walk for hours, and eventually, we reach the camp and we're welcomed in. There are a few new pack members that I don't recognise, but they welcome us just the same. Alric hugs Jana, and then me. He rushes to Dr Whitewood.

"She's this way, please help her, she's just a cub."

Alric must have taken a liking to Emilia if he's this concerned. He leads us to the healing tent where we see Matei knelt next to a cot. The young girl lies completely still. Her black veins pulsate around her cheeks, and I notice the scar on her face. She reminds me of Bryn when Ingrid attacked him.

Matei is crying. Jana kneels down and puts her arm around him, and his head slowly falls onto her shoulder. Dr Whitewood rushes to Emilia's side and begins examining her. Shining a torch in her unconscious eyes, down her throat. Next, she moves on to her leg, her trousers have been cut open to expose her swollen calf, which has turned the same shade of yellow as a Wolfbloods eyes. The air around us is heavy with overwhelming uncertainty and smells of healing remedies and vomit.