.16.

Tension between Estelle and I simmered below the surface, but over the next week the palace began to feel lighter, despite the heavier military presence in the castle. There were a few soldiers from Nadora that I recognised, but either they had been briefed, or they did not see me behind all the dresses and jewels I was wearing.

Just two days after my Father had arrived, the King was able to announce the dismantling of the western border dissenters. Aria had been elated at the news, but I could see the hesitation behind Masons smile.

The rule with my Father had always been that if he wanted to speak to you, he would find you, and I knew that was no different now. Since he made no attempt to approach me, I simply continued on with what I had been doing, listening and learning, and waiting for when he would strike. I was comfortable that while he was here, another attack on Mason or Aria would be unlikely. I wished I could assure Aria of that since she was still on edge but I stayed quiet.

With my Father around, I began to feel more uncomfortable in what I was doing, starting to see it through an outsiders eyes. I told myself again and again that this was what I was here for, and what I had been trained to do, but I was finding it harder to believe in the mission when I was growing more unsure about what the mission actually was.

After the queens confession of why the two Kingdoms had been fighting, the already waning trust I had in my father seemed even weaker. When we were in a room together I found myself watching him, looking for signs of malice or deceit. If I knew him better I might have been able to see them, but he was someone I could not read no matter how hard I tried.

On the warmest day I had encountered since coming to Corisan, I found myself sitting in the training courtyard. All the soldiers were out riding for the day, practising their skills, and I took the opportunity to sit on a small bench that was in the sun without being disturbed.

With eyes closed my head rose up to face the sun automatically and I breathed in the scent that carried on the warm breeze.

'I didn't think ladies liked to sit in the sun'

I crinkled my nose but made no other move 'Perhaps I am not a lady'

Masons chuckle was closer than expected and I opened my eyes to see that he was leaning on a column a few paces in front of me. His face was neutral but there was a smile in his eyes.

'Do you mind if I sit then, oh peasant one' the joke was terrible.

I moved over on the bench to allow him enough room. He pulled himself up from the support and strode forward, taking the seat beside me. He was close enough to touch.

'Why are you sitting out here, in the heat?'

'I have not felt the sun in weeks,' I closed my eyes and tilted my head back up to face the rays 'and I have missed it very much'

'It has not been that long' I held my hand up to stop him from speaking any further 'A day without the sun is a day too long'

He was quiet for a beat and I sensed him watching me.

'I have to tell you something' the lightness of his tone had changed, he sounded hesitant.

My eyes slowly opened and I shifted so that I could see him clearly. He was wearing unadorned garments, and it was nice to see his clothing a little relaxed, even if his face was tense. I waited for him to continue speaking.

'Now that the East and the West are cooperating, and Father and King Fitzcharles are in peace talks, Mother told me today that she has already written to request the presence of the foreign Princesses, and that it is time I find a wife. They will be arriving soon' the words came out quickly then he glanced at me from the side to see my reaction.