.8.

Unsatisfied with the level of information the Prince had shared, I knew I had to figure out a way to find out more. I briefly considered visiting the dungeon to speak to the attacker, but even I had to admit that that would have looked too suspicious.

Making my way to the drawing room, I was greeted by servants running about. The unease from the night before lingered in the air and all around voices were hushed and afraid. I took note of where extra guards had been placed around, so that I could report to Estelle later.

Having not eaten anything at the mornings meeting, the drawing room seemed like the best choice. Thankfully the tables in the room was filled with so much food that no one should notice if a few things went missing.

Growing up with Master Lewin our food had been staples, lots of meat and vegetables to keep us strong and help with our training. Now with all this fruit, cake and sweet things before me, I craved the simplicity of Ham and eggs.

Since no one was around I allowed myself one slice of Nadoran Melon, and it was just as incredible as I remembered. The rest of my plate was simple, toasted bread and a piece of ham. I sat myself down and began to eat. A noise at the door grabbed my attention to the Queen. I stood quickly and curtsied 'Your Majesty'

She smiled and pat my arm, releasing me to sit.

'Was your ladies maid alright?' She spoke to me over her shoulder while she gathered some fruit for breakfast.

'Yes your Majesty, thank you. She is so dear to me and I was worried'

The Queen came and sat down beside me. 'I also wanted to thank you for what you did for my son'

She earnestly grabbed my hand and squeezed, the emotion behind her eyes astounding me. The depth of love that she held for her children was not something I had seen from my own mother and it fascinated me.

'I do not know...' I began to deny but she shook her head. 'Eve, there is scarcely a moment when a Mother is not watching one of her children, and I saw everything. It happened so fast but I know what I saw'

I stopped chewing and stared at her, wondering how I would explain my behaviour. 'You do not need to explain yourself my dear, we all have our secrets, but I wanted to personally thank you and let you know how grateful I am that my son is ok'

I was speechless but she gave me a small smile before returning her attention to the food in front of her. Any further conversation down that track was halted when Mason himself walked into the room. I stood and curtsied but my thoughts were racing. She had seen me protect Mason with physical force, and though she did not ask anything of me now, it could lead to probing questions down the track.

'Good morning Mother, Eve, how are you this morning?'

'I'm fine, thank you'

'We're fine Son, we were just talking about the debutantes'

His back was to us while he picked out his food, and I saw it tense up in a second. 'Did Lady Davenport tell you that they seemed to take the news well this morning?'

'I'm glad they took it well. Do you think any of them will leave?' Mason turned to face us while he thought 'Perhaps, but even if they do not choose to go it may be time to send some of them home anyway'

My ears pricked up in interest, 'It does not make the most sense to marry someone from Corisan does it? There is no possibility for political gain' he explained.

The Queen regarded him thoughtfully 'That may be true. Perhaps we should write to some of the Kingdoms about sending their eligible princesses'

'Which Kingdoms would we write to?' Mason asked. He avoided eye contact with me, but it was evident that he had considered my advice from the previous evening and found it sound.