.11.

The castle remained closed to any new guests. There was no news of furthering negotiations with the West, and emotions in the palace were on alert. Aria and I had not had much of a chance to spend time together and I could see she was still feeling a little fragile, so this morning she had when commanded me to join her in her personal parlour for 'needlework' I had been eager to agree.

I stepped into her room with my sewing basket in hand. I had worn a warm dark blue day dress, that was simple and comfortable. 'Your highness, I am here' I called out playfully.

She emerged from her bed chamber door, dressed in a pink dress that resembled some kind of dessert, and primly walked toward me. 'Miss davenport, if you please'

Following her, we glided over to the seats she had positioned in front of the fireplace. We held our heads up haughtily, but with one look at each other we broke into laughter and fell into our seats.

'Oh dear' she wiped tears of laughter from her eyes, settling until she saw the sewing basket I was holding 'You actually have a sewing basket?' The giggles re emerged, and I hit her playfully with the fabric filled wicker.

'I wanted to pretend. At least I do not look like some sort of cake!' I pointed to the layers of fabric on her dress and she admitted that it may have been a little over the top. 'It was funny' she shrugged.

I tossed the basket away then pulled my heels up beneath my dress, sitting as unladylike as I could manage. Aria mirrored my position as best she could in her monstrosity of a dress, and we stared into the fire for a moment in silence

'I do not like being cooped up at home. I am so bored'

'I would much rather go on a horsehide, gallop across a paddock or something' I agreed.

Aria jumped up from her chair to pace restlessly, 'Theres nothing I can do Eve, I feel so helpless and when father teaches us about policies and economy I am so BORED' with dramatic flair she flung herself over the chaise lounge behind us and looked up at me sorrowfully 'I will never be a good Queen'

She reminded me of how I felt when I was training, learning fight tactics, and secretly reading royal protocol for princesses. I had wanted to pull my hair out many, many times. I stepped over and joined her on the couch, pushing her knees away to make room for me.

'I know what you mean. It seems quite impossible to learn everything you need to know'

She looked at me oddly, 'how could you know what I mean?'

Dammit, I thought quickly.

'I mean that I felt a lot of pressure when learning in school, like I would never be able to keep all these etiquette rules in my head'

She appeared to accept my explanation because she laid her head back on the seat and stared at the ceiling.

'Perhaps we could find some way to annoy Caleb?' My suggestion, though childish, made her smile.

'No, he has been incredible moody the last few days, even worse than you'

My eyes just about rolled out of my head 'I have not been that bad!'

Aria turned to face me, holding out for my hand and then grasping it in hers. 'No, you have not been SO bad. I am glad you stayed. I don't think I could have got through this without you'

The emotion of having a real, honest (on her part at least) friend felt so strange to me. I squeezed her hand as my throat constricted, unable to respond.

'So I wanted to ask,' her voice changed to casual and she dropped my hand, looking down at her fingers,'It seems you and my brother have been getting on better...'