.12.

The evening felt similar to my first night here, except I didn't have Estelle to dress me, and to make matters worse, when I asked the maid she said there had been no letters for me. So now not only had I not heard from Estelle, I had also not heard from my father or this mysterious friend, Elias

Since the Queen requested that we dress nicely, I chose one of the last fancier dresses I had with long sleeves, since the already frigid temperature had dropped a few more degrees. This dress was probably my favourite out of all the ones we had ordered.

It was a dark, velvet purple with a high bodice and long sleeves. The skirt was almost straight, and since it wasn't heavy it allowed for more movement, just in case there was any reason to run or hide in uncomfortable positions.

For a second I debated wearing my pants underneath my skirt, but that may have been a step too far.

I decided that my hair would be in a simple knot at the nape of my neck, and looked in the mirror to see the completed look. Estelle would have been proud at the progress I made.

Hearing Aria coming down the hall, I stepped up and opened the door as she raised her hand to knock. She looked at the door in confusion and then at me before laughing. 'I see you are all dressed, just as Mother commanded'

'As are you, your Highness' I dropped into a mock bow and only stood when she pulled me up. Truly she did look beautiful. Her dress was also long sleeve, but it had an intricate lace pattern over the top of burgundy underlay. I looped my arm through hers and we began the walk to the dining room, a guard following us a few paces behind.

We came to the door and the guard informed us that we were the last to arrive. We walked through the open doors and I saw him before he saw me. Mason looked very handsome in his dinner suit. His dark hair was slightly damp and his cuffs were undone, looking every bit the arrogant Prince I had at first thought he was, though the traces of his humour were evident to me now. Of course Caleb stood beside him, looking almost handsome were it not for permanent boredom on his face when Aria wasn't around.

'Aria, Eve, you two look beautiful!' The Queens exclamation made Mason and Caleb turn to greet us. My curtsy was perfect and I rose up, letting my eyes travel from the ground up to Masons face.

The look I saw was similar to when we had been fighting, like I had some kind of power of him. There was also a hint of something lying underneath that, but he looked away before I could decipher it.

'Dinner is served'

The housekeeper stepped back and six maids came forward with our dinner. To my relief my plate held a small portion of venison, and some green vegetables.

'I noticed you did not particularly take to the quail, Eve' the Queen commented, and I smiled ruefully 'it is not something I have eaten very often' I admitted. 'What do you eat in Bazea?'

'My mothers cook always made simple meals for me growing up, with a lot of meat and vegetables, I'm afraid I never grew accustomed to eating more delicate things'

The King nodded in understanding then suddenly smiled fondly 'I remember the first time Aria tried pork. She loved it and declared she would eat it every day, until she went out to see her favourite pig in the yard, and found out where her food has come from'

The Queen laughed as Aria protested 'It still makes me sad that we ate Mr Piggles, he was such a pretty pig!'

Caleb snorted with laughter and she sent him a death glare across the table. 'Oh come on Ari, you only liked the pigs because you were always covered in dirt, they were your kindred spirits'