The House

Mom getting that journal from an old lady for free explained the weird things going on. None of this makes sense. Somehow, I will try to stop it before it starts. But how?

My shoes crunched in the light snow as I walked in our new driveway. I looked up towards the house. It was 3 stories high and not very wide. It was a blackened house with only a few windows across the side. Not only, is it how I imagined, but it had a torn roof and sticky spider webs on the windows.

My dad pulled out a key from his pocket and flipped it around his fingers. He stepped on the porch and twisted the doorknob with the key. the door creaked as he opened it. He flipped the light switch by the side and we all walked in.

There was a gleaming chandelier in the living room that looked centuries old with small crystals hanging from the lights. I wandered around the house examining my imagination. I grudgingly walked to the living room that had two small couches and a couch chair. I set my heavy bags on the couch and got out my phone.

"4 missed calls: 435-2567 (Raylee💜)"
"4 voicemails: 435-2567 (Raylee💜)"

1st voicemail: "Will you please talk to me Skai? I'm sorry I got mad, I'm just going to miss you so much! Your my BFF. Please answer me, we need to talk!"

2nd voicemail: "Hey Skai. I really want to talk to you please answer your phone or call me back! ~Raylee"

3rd Voicemail: " Fine. Don't answer me whatever. I was just going to give you Dylan's phone number. But obviously you don't want to talk to me."

4th voicemail: "I thought you were my friend. Obviously Not. Don't bother calling me back anymore. Dylan's too good for you anyways."

Tears ran down my cheeks that last sentence felt like someone punched me in the gut. How could Raylee say something like that to me? A range of madness filled my insides. I wanted to call her back but I knew it would turn into a fight if I did right now. I was also afraid to call her. I thought she was my friend, too. "Obviously not!" I mimicked her voice.

I stared at the ceiling blankly, thinking of my "fantastic!" situation.

Then my phone buzzed with a text message from Raylee. I did not want to look at what she sent me next. I was already broken to pieces.

Finally I turned on my phone to see,

Raylee💜
I'm sorry.

I snickered, "And how could you possibly be sorry!" I said sarcastically. But I mustered up all my courage to reply,

Me
It's ok. You're right.

Raylee💜
No I'm not! I forgot you couldn't talk to me on the plane and I was being stupid.

Me
I should've told you before Dylan.

Raylee💜
It's ok. You guys are so cute together. By the way, he told me to send you his number. It's 123-4567

Me
Ok. Friends?

Raylee💜
Friends.

End of text messaging************

A rush of relief flushed my face. I could never handle fighting with Raylee.

I got off the couch to search around the house for my room. The kitchen had brown and red tiles. It had a white/yellow counter running on the sides of the wall unconnected by a small black stove.

Then I went down a long wooden hallway pass the kitchen. The first door was a small bathroom with a box shower and blue tiles falling a little apart. The next door was my brothers room with a cute window and light brown carpet. The door across from my brothers room was my parents room with a queen size bed and two wooden dressers. The hall extended into a lounge with a small flat screen tv and another set of couches.

Across from the lounge was a set of stairs leading up. I squeaked up the metal stairs to another hallway. The first door on the left led to a porch outside. I walked further in to another bathroom. This one was nicer with a bathtub and a gleaming sink standing on pink tiles. Across from the bathroom I creaked open the last door which I assumed was my room. It had light lavender carpet with a huge closet along side my twin size bed.

Before I settled in, I looked at the last two doors in the upper hall. One led to a fiery furnace with a long gray chimney reaching to the ceiling. The door across from it led to a laundry room with a small washer and dryer by a tiny window.

Then I walked back to my room to unpack. I unzipped my suit case and hung my skirts, dresses, and coats in the closet. I put my casual clothes in my dresser and a mirror and straightener on top. I opened up my little pocket on my suitcase to get my accessories. A tear dropped down as I picked up my Grandma May May's silver heart crest necklace. I gently set it down on my dresser and decided to finish unpacking later.

I looked at my phone and sent a text message to 123-4567.

Me
Is this Dylan? This is Skai.

Immediately my phone buzzed after it sent.

123-4567
Yes!!

Me
Yay! I'm so sorry I moved at the last second. On the bright side it might be temporary!

123-4567
It's ok. you'll always be my favorite Skai.

Me
Lol, do u know any other Skais?

123-4567
I know MILLIONS

Me
Ya, right.

I felt so happy texting Dylan, he's so nice.

"Skai!! Supper is ready downstairs!" My mom yelled.

Me
Brb

I jumped off my bed feeling happy and was about to walk out to meet my family in the dining room.

Then, there was a hissing sound coming from my closet.