Summer Storm

Your attempts at avoiding Oikawa Tooru was short-lived.

By the time you arrived home from school a couple of days later, the heavens had opened up, giving way to one of the worst summer storms you could remember.

You slumped against your front door as a roll of thunder groaned behind the clouds, raising the hair on the back of your neck and heralding a fresh onslaught of rain.

After rummaging through your bag for the hundredth time, you conceded defeat. You had forgotten your keys, and since your parents were in the city to visit a relative, you were locked out indefinitely.

The battery in your phone had died, so you didn't know when they would be back, and you weren't about to melt into your stoop waiting for them.

You picked yourself up and, trying not to notice how the rain was welding into your uniform, you hurtled back down the street, hopping over puddles as you run.

If you travelled at just below the speed of light, taking the fastest route, you would make it to school, which was nine blocks away, just as the janitor was about to lock up.

Then you could slip inside, find your keys and be out in time to swim back home again.

As you ran, the sky flashed and rumbled, rattling your nerves. It hadn't rained this badly since they kissed in front of you, and you were reminded with an unpleasant twist in your stomach, of how painful those days were.

By the time you turned into the school building, your feet were swimming in shoefuls of water and your nose was completely numb.

You were too late.

You sprinted across hoping to find shelter beneath the roof of the school's entrance gate

You could wait out the worst of the storm, then make your way to Aika's house.
If you had been able to open your eyes as normal, and if the storm wasn't whipping your hair like thick lashes around your face, you could have seen the figure outside the entrance.

"Tooru?"

"Y/N?"

"What are you doing here?" you both asked at the same time.

"I had left my keys inside, and I'm locked out of my house."

Oikawa nodded thoughtfully. You waited for his answer. After a long moment, he responded casually," I was practising until they threw me out."

"Is the janitor still there?"

"Yes, he is-"

"-let's go", you ran towards the gym, Oikawa following behind.

The janitor, at first complained but then let you in eventually.

After what seemed like an eternity of searching through your locker, you finally found it. You closed your hand around the keys, feeling their familiar edges with a flicker of triumph.