Day 4

Day 4

Dear Diary,

Did you know that people are nice? I never actually believed that people have kind hearts, especially when the heart I believed to be the kindest I had ever met turned cold as stone and walked out of my life.

But today, I was sitting by one of the fountains in Paris after one of the best lunches of my life and I saw a couple, holding hands. The guy gave the girl a flower and she giggled, looking lovingly into his eyes. I tried to hold them back, I really did, but I couldn’t. The tears began slipping down my face uncontrollably.

It was the first time I had cried about him leaving. When he first left, I was only in shock. And then I was numb. I never cried.

Sitting there, crying, I never expected someone to come up to me. A girl with the reddest red hair I had ever seen came and sat next to me. She put her hand on my shoulder. When I looked up, she didn’t say anything, only smiled warmly, telling me with her eyes that everything was going to be okay. And it only made me cry harder.  I let all of my emotions out in that one crying spell, sitting on a bench near a fountain with a complete stranger.

When I finally calmed down, she pulled me up and gave me a hug. She told me it was okay in a southern accent. I was momentarily stunned that she was American like me.

We went and got coffee and she introduced herself as Cali. And now were traveling buddies.

And for the rest of the day, he didn’t cross my mind once.

Yours truly,

Madison Mazy