Chapter 10

I simply stand alone, watching the bustle of the panicked crowd as endless questions are thrown around, recieving no answers. Ali, Shay and Luna are busy discussing Brooke more so than Ronna's announcement. Luna looks overwrought as she repeatedly runs her hands through her hair, a nervous habit. She states over and over again that this is not the first time Brooke is in trouble and she's worried that they will make sure it is her last by simply getting rid of her. The two other girls nod and listen politely but I know them well enough to know they don't really care.

I scan through the huddle of people in search of Zander but, having no luck, I soon find myself looking for Hunter. I don't know why but I find myself to be somewhat intrigued by the slightly impudent boy. He suddenly emerges from the crowd and quickly strides past me towards the exit. I hesitate as I stand staring at him, deciding whether or not I should bother trying to talk to him.

"Hey, wait," I call out before my mind agrees.

He doesn't even bother to glance at me but instead quickens his pace as he retreats from the hall.

"Oh for God's sake," I mumble as I follow him out .

"Hunter, wai-" I begin before he suddenly turns around

"What?" He snaps, his blue eyes clouded with annoyance.

"Why did you leave so suddenly earlier? I mean all I-"

"Listen, Naomi," he cuts me of harshly, his eyes piercing fiercely into mine, "My business is my business. I'd like to keep it that way."

"Okay? Fine, I won't ask anything about you again then." I huff, agitated by his rude, blunt demeanor.

A silence takes over and eventually he turns around and begins to walk away without another word before stopping suddenly.

"Meet me in the Rec before evening meal." He demands more than asks, not bothering to turn around to face me as he speaks.

I am about to deny, not liking how he makes it sound like I have no choice. But a part of me is curious about what this strange, reserved boy wants. However, before I can decide on my reply I realise he had already left and joined the crowd of people beginning to leave the hall.

Many thoughts start to sprout in my mind. Most, admittedly, about Hunter, making me annoyed at myself for letting him occupy my mind. But also more pressing thoughts like Ronna's speech and the Listeners. What is happening in the Outside? Is the war that was planned against the surrounding towns finally going to take place?