CHAPTER IV - The Desire of the Orphan

"The one who takes care of an orphan is with me in Paradise like this,"

Bukhari and Muslim

~ Harry hurried back to his dormitory, clutching a stitch in his side

~ Harry hurried back to his dormitory, clutching a stitch in his side. He quickly closed the door to the dormitory, stuffed his Cloak under the bed and climbed onto it, pulling the covers up to his chin. How did Snape know he was there? He had been invisible, after all. He ought to watch out for Snape every time he went out, invisible or not. Whatever impression he may have on the others, Harry knew, now, that Hermione had been right: Snape was just a lying git. 

Harry didn't know what on Earth made him do it. He was out of bed again! As he crept along the corridor to the library, he was met with a shock at the entrance. Filch the caretaker, along with Mrs Norris, sitting on a stool at the library door with an oil lamp. Sh*t. 

But even as Harry turned, his shoe squeaked. Double sh*t. 

"Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi", 

Harry read. He didn't recognise the language. Meh. So ... panic's faded, so what's the bother in seeing your invisible reflection again? He stepped in front of the mirror. 

He would have screamed had he not clapped his hands to his mouth. He spun around. Harry had seen not only himself but a whole crowd of people standing behind him. 

But he was alone. Breathing quick, he turned back to the mirror. 

There he was, reflected in it, but around him were at least ten others. A woman standing behind him was smiling and waving at him. He felt the air behind him. If she had stood there, Harry would have felt her - but he did not. She and the others existed only in the mirror. 

She was a very pretty woman. She had dark red hair and her eyes - her eyes are just like mine, Harry thought. Bright green - exactly the same shape. But then he noticed that she was crying. Smiling, but crying at the same time. The tall, thin, black-haired man standing next to her put his arm around her. He had untidy black hair and wore glasses. His hair stuck up at the back just like Harry's did. 

Lily and James Potter - Died 31st October 1981

"See?" Harry whispered. 

"I can't see anything," 

"Look! Look at them all ... there are loads of them ..." 

"I can only see you," 

"Look in it properly, go on, stand where I am," 

Harry stepped aside and Ron stepped in front of the mirror. After a second, Ron's mouth opened in shock.

"See? I told you so," said Harry triumphantly. 

"Look at me!" said Ron excitedly. He didn't seem to be listening.

"Can you see all your family standing around you?" 

"No - only me - but I'm older - and I'm Head Boy!" 

"Wait, what?" 

"I am - and I'm holding the Quidditch and House Cups - I'm Quidditch Captain too! Do you the mirror shows the future?" Ron asked, turning to Harry. 

"It can't, my family's all dead! Now move, I want to see my parents,"

"No, you had it to yourself all night last night! Give me a bit more time--"

"You're only holding the Quidditch Cu--"

Mrs Norris chose that moment to slink and then out and cause Ron to pull Harry out of the room. 

"It shows us what we want ... whatever we want ..." 

"Yes and no," said Dumbledore quietly. "It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you. Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge nor truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible. The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you put that admirable Cloak back on and get off to bed?"

!_-_^<>^_-_!

Why do I have a feeling I'm gonna write another chapter after this? 

Oh, and 'Na ja' means 'don't go' 

Do you understand? It was a coincidence but ... I'm crying now.