CHAPTER I - Harry's Life

"Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing,"

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

~ As Mrs Dursley heard a knock on her door, she assumed one of the neighbours must have come to ask to borrow something

~ As Mrs Dursley heard a knock on her door, she assumed one of the neighbours must have come to ask to borrow something. She put on a sickeningly sweet smile that would scare the daylights out of a ghost and made her way to the door through the mess of food her one-year-old son, Dudley, was making on the floor. But once she had opened the door and her pale eyes had surveyed the visitor head to foot, she was ready to scream despite the fact that she could only gag. 

Nothing like this man had ever been seen in Privet Drive. He was tall, thin and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak that swept the ground and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. He was smiling a cheerful smile when Mrs Dursley had opened the door, but now wore a satisfied one. Hadn't Mrs Dursley been dazed by the man's abnormal appearance, she would have seen the smirk which was being suppressed very forcefully by the man.

"An' we've been sendin' wizards to check on yeh every month, but a note in the kitchen says 'at the zoo'!" finished Hagrid. He had just been telling Harry how they all thought he was safe when he was obviously not. Meh, whatever. He needed to get out of here, all of that could wait! 

Harry had found out that he had a load of gold just lying in a vault in a magical bank in a magical alley. Wow. And he got an owl. Double wow.

A redheaded boy named Ron Weasley became his friend and a pale blonde called Draco Malfoy became his enemy. They hadn't even reached school. And they were doing such cool stuff! The wizarding world is awesome!

Sitting on the Gryffindor Table, Harry glanced up at the Staff Table, briefly locking eyes with one of the teachers. His scar hurt. He put his hand on it. Percy asked, "All right, Harry?" Harry nodded in reply. 

"Say, Percy," said Harry. "Who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?" 

"You know Quirrell already, do you?" said Percy. "No wonder he's looking so terrified, that's Professor Snape,"

Harry glanced again at the man called Snape, taking in the details of his appearance. He had long, shiny black hair he'd tied into a small loose ponytail with a white hair tie. His skin was pale and young and his black eyes held a hint of mischief. He had a slightly hooked nose but it didn't tamper his appearance, which was, all in all, handsome. He had a reckless, rough aura. 

"Why's he terrified?" asked Harry. "Snape doesn't look . . . well, scary," and you could trust Harry Potter to know about scary people, seeing as he had grown up with intimidating Muggles.