Sorry, Not Sorry

Guten Tag, Ich bin Preußen. (Hello, I am Prussia) Well, I still kept my name. 

This seems like a dark day for me. I am no longer a country. I am now dissolved. Here's my message for the whole world: Thanks for the memories. You will still remember me for centuries now even if I am now all gone. How did this all happen? I will tell you a little story that had a big change in my life. 

I was glad that the war ended. No more violence. But there is one thing I doubt: That the Allies will take care of me. Russia's voice echoed over and over; I can't take it.

"Don't get too emotional now... Da? You'll be alright in our hands."

I doubt it. I really doubt it. I want to freeze in one corner and think about it. Hey, it's still a long way, who knows; there might be a war that West would actually win.

Don't tell him I said that. No offense but the reason why there was a World War 2 is because Germany lost World War 1. Bring the blames to Hitler. Well. He's already dead. I wish this battle never took place.... there's too much pain. 

Long story short. I was long gone in February 25, 1947. Or some mortals call it "DEAD". I am dead. My country is gone. What is a living nation.... without his nation. 

The Allies destroyed me once and for all. They all had their reasons.

"You are the very source of the German malaise that had afflicted Europe. I believe that a political culture marked by illiberalism and intolerance, an inclination to revere power over legally grounded rights, and an unbroken tradition of militarism... is the symbol of you." England said. A gentleman with a harsh tongue? Great. 

"You are the bane of modern German and European history. I blame Prussian culture because it stifled and marginalized the more liberal cultures of the German south and thus laid the foundations for political extremisms and dictatorship...Nazism. Its habit of authoritarianism, servility and obedience prepared the ground for the collapse of     democracy and the advent of Nazi dictatorship. In other words, I blamed Prussia and its culture and what I perceived to be what you stood for as the reason for abolishing/dissolving YOU." America said. I see, like Hitler was born in my country. Pretty close, but don't blame me, ja?

Bruder famously remarked that Italy was a "geographical expression." "This cannot be said of Brandenburg- and you. It was landlocked and WITHOUT DEFENSIBLE BORDERS OF ANY KIND. It also didn't enjoy the self-sufficiency in armaments that enabled Sweden to assert itself as a regional power in the early 17th century." He said.

So how did my unpromising territory became the heartland of a powerful European state? Because of the sheer will and discipline of my people, and my love for ORDER. Other dynastic territories fractured over time into even smaller states, but Brandenburg and I remained intact---and expanded. I had no choice but to be a military power, because of my geographical position. Germany, please don't scream. It hurts too much.

The emphazis of your voice made it harder for me to accept the fact that I'm gonna be dead.

I had to go. Bruder himself said so. "So you had been bound up in public awareness with the memory of military success: Rossbach, Leuthen, Leipzig, Waterloo, Koniggratz, Sedan...and so therefore, the judgment of the victors over me." He said.

The beginning of my burden began with the end of the rule of Nazi Germany. Zone Occupations and Expulsion? We simply don't talk about it. As much as I hated Hitler for the trouble, he was merely the one who kept me alive under his rule. He just doesn't know. Ah, April 30, 1945: What a bittersweet day. How horrible yet how nice.

In abolishing me, the victorious Allied powers only saw and said "The evil of Nazism as a byproduct of you."

They totally ignored my positive achievements---an incorruptible civil service, a tolerant attitude to religious minorities, a law code from 1794 that was admired and imitated throughout the German states, a literacy rate (in the 19th century) unequalled in Europe, and a bureaucracy of EXEMPLARY EFFICIENCY! All this they ignored, because of Nazism. The 'me'  they depicted was not without flaws (what state doesn't have its built in flaws?)---but I had little in common with the racial state created by the Nazis! How distasteful!

"The core of Germany is Prussia. There is the source of the recurring pestilence." England told the British Parliament on 21 September 1943 in the midst of WW2.

"The excision of Prussia from the political map of Europe, was thus a symbolic necessity." According to the Allied Powers.

"It was basically a collective judgement imposed for the atrocities of the murderous regime of Nazi Germany and its leaders, and once more innocent people paid for it by being driven off from their ancestral lands." England said.

"It was simply the judgement of the victors, or you could say us." Russia said. "I am sorry for doing this, but I am not sorry that I didn't know that the decision was on the victors. You could have tried harder to win. Why would you put the blame to others? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

Russia said I'll be alright in their hands. Yeah, right. Can't he see that he's the reason why I am dead? Liar. I should have never trusted him. I don't know if I can trust anyone anymore. Even my own bruder. Here's to spending eternity by myself:

If I ever take it.

West, please remember me. I'm your only brother. Please. I may be gone but I'll be there. Guiding you always. I am not the awesome Prussian empire anymore. I am now a dissolved empire who cannot do anything to regain my nation again.

Auf Widersehen, bruder. (Goodbye, Brother)