Chapter 18

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 18 –Goodbyes, Hellos)

“Jaime?! The guy who killed me? The guy who… who shot Alfred many times?” Hanna asks as Alfred becomes surprised.

“What do you mean?” He is confused with what the young lady is saying. “It was your father, Pancho who shot me!”

“No! It was Jaime! That’s what my dream told me.” The young lady sits down as Mila gets her senses ready to hear Hanna’s story. Alfred is all ears too.

“My dream started with an argument between Alfred and a tall, middle-aged man. I think he was my father…”

“It’s not my intention to hurt your daughter. In fact, I like her!” Alfred unexpectedly answers back.

“Now you have the guts to answer back. People these days. What a disrespectful man!” This angered Pancho even more.

“I remembered my father going inside the house to get a rifle. It was just supposed to scare Alfred. My father made a shot in the air once. I can see that the sound really terrified him. Poor Alfred! And I also remember what was said to the poor young man!”

“At the count of 5, I don’t want to see you at our block.” Pancho says.

“Alfred’s legs were shaking and his teeth was chattering. He slowly walked away from our house. 1… 2… 3…said my father who was counting.”

“You’re too slow, Mr. dela Vega! Fire that bullet into that bastard’s leg!” Jaime suddenly butts in and instructs Pancho on what to do.

“I know what I’m doing!” The middle-aged man firmly says, putting down the rifle seeing Alfred scared while running.

“Lemme have that!” Jaime quickly grabbed the large rifle, too quick that it hurt Pancho’s chest.

Jaime fired endlessly at Alfred. All of us were shouting, fearing for his life. Then, my father objected and got the rifle back. I was so scared because all of a sudden, Jaime pulled a small gun from his pocket, and pointed it on my father’s forehead.”

“What Jaime wants, Jaime gets!!!” The mad young man squeezed his gun while his grinding teeth freezed his jaw. The Dela Vega family was in great horror. Pancho did nothing but to keep silent.

“My mother was sweating heavily while she quietly made the Sign of the Cross as Jaime moved backwards and ran away. My father had a mild stroke that night. I was so… afraid! Jaime was like a devil on Earth!”

 Hanna is stuttering while remembering every detail of her recurring nightmare. Her sweaty palms rub each other as Alfred hugs her. Now the young man know everything that really happened on that fateful night.

“Jaime is a dangerous person. His soul is evil. I do not know who is he today, but I can tell that he is just around. Beware.” Mila shakes her head in worry.