2 - Age Eighteen

At the age of eighteen, we were finally graduating from high school. After long hours of studying and deciding what we wanted to do with our lives, university was the next step.

It took Jungkook a long time to persuade his father that he wanted to do film at university. After watching Jungkook's short film he produced, his father finally allowed him to study film instead of medicine. Eventually, Jungkook was accepted to the top university in Seoul, scoring high on his college entrance exams and producing an amazing short film about life within high school. For me, I was accepted into an English Literature course that wasn't too far from where I lived. 

It was the first summer vacation where Jungkook asked me to go to his holiday villa in Jeju Island with Taehyung and Jimin. I accepted because after long months of stress and sleepless nights, I wanted to take a break from the hustling city and not think about the problems of finally growing up. For once, I just wanted to leave all my worries behind me for a while. 

Jungkook had stopped becoming the school's biggest player when he met Hana, who his first proper girlfriend. He fell in love with her hard and fast, and talked about her in such a loving way like he never wanted to let go of her. However, recently, they broke up after a year of dating because she wanted to focus on her studies. So, this is how I ended up on this trip instead of Hana. Sure, Jungkook was sad and heartbroken over it but he managed to keep his mind off it.

Days consisted of the sun burning brightly against the clear blue skies and the only coolness we got was from the pool at the villa. It has been the first week since we all arrived here and all we did was hang out at the beach or sit by the pool because the heat was unbearable. 

I was sitting on the edge of the pool with my legs in the water as I watched Jungkook swim around me and splashing water in my direction every few minute, trying his best to get me go into the pool. 

"Why won't you come in?" Jungkook asked, swimming over to me and pushing his hair away from his face. "The water doesn't bite."

"I told you multiple times. I can't  swim," I scoffed, pulling my sunglasses down to the bridge of my nose. "Besides, I won't drown if I sit here."

"Come on, I'll teach you." Jungkook insisted, leaning against the pool wall. "It's not hard, I promise I won't let you drown."

I never had the chance to learn how to swim. It wasn't because I didn't want to, believe me I did want to learn. My parents were always too busy to take me to swimming lessons because of their job and their constant travelling around, they never had the chance to teach me. So, my childhood became pretty bland. I couldn't do the simple things like learning how to ride a bike or learning to swim, at this age I would be pretty embarrassed if I tried to learn any of these things. 

Before I could react, Jungkook's hand was wrapped around my ankle and pulled me beneath the water. His arms quickly wrapping around my waist and pulling me up to the surface so I wasn't drowning. I balanced both my hands on each side of his shoulder, coughing up the water I inhaled and opening my eyes slowly to see how close our faces were together. 

"You're an asshole," I sneered.

I lifted one of my hands away from his shoulder and pushed my hair out of my face. Our eyes met, and we found ourselves slowing leaning in. I had realised how much Jungkook has changed from when we were sixteen. He was no longer the boy with baby fat and short hair that made him look younger than he was. 

I didn't want to move. I could barely breathe. It was like I was frozen to the spot while my heart was pounding rapidly against my chest. For a moment, I had an urge to kiss him but I knew it was wrong to do it since Jungkook had just broken up with Hana a few weeks ago but also, he was my friend and friends don't kiss each other.

"Guys! Lunch is ready!" Taehyung shouted from inside, causing us to back away slowly. 

Jungkook cleared his throat and helped me get out the pool. He grabbed the nearest towel that was sitting on the chair and threw it at me like that moment between us didn't happen. We resumed that day joking and having fun like we did before. It was like that moment between us washed away and we didn't talk about it again. 

-:-:-:-

On the second last day of the holiday, we were invited to some bonfire party not too far away from the villa. Jimin thought it was a good idea that we go to the party to spend our last days here on Jeju Island. The party was hosted by Jungkook's childhood friend who he only spoke to every summer he was here with his parents. 

By the time daylight had passed, the sun was beginning to set and the shadows of the evening were appearing. The fire came to light up the night, to warm the air that was more accustomed to the summer heat. Everyone was already drunk or tipsy. 

Jungkook and I snuck out further away from the beach to get away from the big crowd that was there. Our faces burned with the heat from the summer night and the alcohol we consumed. Jungkook held my hand tightly, dragging me further away from where Taehyung and Jimin were.

"Jeon Jungkook, are you happy?" I said, adding a little giggle at the end as we stopped walking to admire the stars above us and the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. "I'm happy. This is the first time in so long I can finally feel like this."

"I am happy." Jungkook slurred at his words. I looked over at him and our eyes met. "When I'm married, I'll think of you. The good times we had together."

For a moment, we stared at each other just smiling and enjoying our company with each other to feel ourselves slowly leaning in. When our lips finally met, something ignited, and the kiss deepened as Jungkook put his hand around my waist pulling me in closer. My eyes were closed and all the worries I had had before disappeared from my mind. Only a few minutes later, Jungkook pulled away and realised what had just happened.

"Mina, we can't do this." Jungkook said quickly, biting the bottom of his lip and scratching the back of his neck. We were now suddenly sober, and we stared at each other with confusion written on our faces. "Friends can't kiss each other. Besides, Sunhee and I are just getting back together."

"You're right, this shouldn't have happened." I replied, smiling weakly and taking a few steps back from him. The feeling of my heart sinking at his words. "I'm going to check on Taehyung. You know what he's like when he's drunk."

"Mina..." Jungkook's voice trailed, reaching out the grab my hand.

"It's fine," I reassured him, shaking his hand off mine. I turned around and made my way back to the party where Taehyung and Jimin were. My heart was suddenly aching, and I could feel the tears slipping down my face as I walked further away from Jungkook.

The holiday ended quickly, and we never recalled anything that happened that night on the beach. Things were still awkward between Jungkook and I, but we got over it eventually. The kiss was never mentioned and Jungkook acted like nothing happened. However, I felt something that I knew wasn't right. 

Soon enough, the news came out Jungkook and Hana were back together. They were happy together. 

Eighteen, what an awkward year.