Chapter 30

A quick stopover at the flat for a shower and something to eat did me the world of good before heading out. I also needed to get rid of the clothes I took from Brynn. The thoughts of my betrayal and leaving her behind sat very shallow with me and I didn't want anything to remind me of her. So she saved my life and I wasn't ungrateful but I hardly knew my sister anyway. And from what I could make out, she wasn't even human so why should I care about a clone? The best I could do was to push everything that happened to the back of my mind and hope that she didn't stick her nose into my business again. As I threw the clothes in the dustbin, I looked back the now empty and quiet flat and suddenly I missed my friend. It sounded strange but I could almost feel Adelmar's presence in the room with me. If there ever was a time I needed my big guardian it was now. Could I ever forgive myself for walking so blindly into the trap set by Natalov? Deep down inside, I knew it was my fault that Adelmar died that night. It was my arrogance and foolish pride that lead to all this.

Angry at myself, I kicked the garbage can hard before heading for the door. It didn't take me long to find a cab and It was just after midday when I reached the club. It was strange seeing the place in the day light and it was too quiet for my liking. All the blazing strobe lights and masses of drunken party goers had been replaced with an almost reverent silence. A barman was quietly cleaning some glasses and restocking the top shelf liquor behind the bar. He barely raised an eyebrow as I headed to Madam Rhi's office door. As usual a block of a body guard was standing guard and he looked down at me with a sneer. If he was surprised to find me alive, he hid it very well and handed me a note.

"What's this?" I asked, taking the carefully folded paper in my hand.

"Madam Rhi's not here. She wanted me to give you this." The ogre grumbled and cricked his massive neck muscles.

The note was elegantly written in the Yakuza underboss's spider like writing and read:

"Helena. Meet me at 1032-6 Teshirocho Soka, Saitama Prefecture. We have much to discuss. Come alone.

Madam R."

I looked up to the bodyguard for any sign or indication but he remained stoic and unmoved from the door.

"You need to smile more sweetie." I said, tapping him on the chest with the paper. The grunt barred his teeth and folded his arms. Realizing that I would get nothing out of him, I headed for the exit and caught another cab towards the factory district of Tokyo. The thought occurred to me that it was strange for the Yakuza underboss to meet away from the club. Maybe it was because of Natalov and the threat the Bratva posed that we couldn't meet in public anymore but something had clearly spooked her, something big. But I was determined that I could convince her to raise an army and take down Natalov and his followers. The feeling of revenge was almost palpable inside me as I scratched the needle marks on my arms for the umpteenth time. I needed a fix so badly now, just something small to get me through this damn day. Brynn was completely wrong when she said I couldn't handle the drugs and that it would destroy me. I was in control of this monster but just needed something to take the edge off and stop this burning inside me.

It was late afternoon when we reached the factory district and everything was deathly quiet. The nearby Tsukij fish market had closed down for the afternoon and the only signs of life were a few workers hanging around the shipping area, waiting to head off to a bar for some beers and Okonomiyaki. I ignored them and watched as the cab driver turned down an alley and started slowing down. The factory was a rundown affair and was clearly abandoned as I climbed out and paid the driver. He didn't waste much time and soon sped off, leaving me alone in the deserted alley.

"Why would you want to meet here?" I thought to myself and headed inside. It looked like an old packing plant and had clearly not seen any action in years, a thick layer of dust had settled on the machinery and remnants of the old conveyor belt left behind. Cautiously moving through the silent space, nerves tensing at the merest of sounds; I eventually found the Yakuza underboss. She was standing upright at the far end of the factory floor, calmly waiting for me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw five of her bodyguards emerge from the shadows, all carrying their side arms.