Chapter 24

The drive back to the club was a silent one. None of us said anything as another town car took us away. Maybe there was nothing left but anger and bitterness inside us all. I could see the rage building up in Madam Rhi as she rhythmically tapped the cigarette holder on the ashtray. We all knew Natalov had crossed a line. Admittedly, we were already involved in a turf war with the Bratva but for that Russian bastard to come so brazenly at one of the high ranking members of the Yakuza and in public? It was unprecedented and everyone knew we kept our wars private and in the dark. He had started something and went to a place that none of us would ever come back from.

The final moments of Jimmy Wah’s life as he stood helpless on that bridge was carved into my subconscious. His pitiful eyes as the hope finally faded from him and he realized the end was near. And then the claws of Natalov as he dug his fingers deep into Jimmy’s skull, splintering bone and turning brain matter to pulp. The sickening and blackened blood flowing over his hands as the monster laughed maniacally. I vowed that he would pay, no matter how far he ran or in what deep hole he hid, he would pay for what he had done. Saying nothing, my fingers dug deep into the plush leather of the town car, darkened thoughts clouding my judgement. When we finally reached the club, Madam Rhi wordlessly climbed out and walked away, stopping only for a moment to glance back at me. She nodded once; nothing more needed saying as thanks for me saving her life. There was much to do, local police and officials had to be paid off, the crime scene on the Rainbow Bridge cleaned up and the remains of Jimmy’s body had to be fished out of the river. It would be a massive operation to keep everyone quiet and word no doubt would have reached the upper echelons of the Yakuza ranks by now. The elders would not be pleased with this outrage committed by the Russians but how they would react, that remained a mystery. We would have to hold our breath and wait for them.

A few minutes later, the driver dropped me off in front of the apartment. Tired and in a world of pain, I trudged up to the loft and headed for the door. Pausing for a moment, the sounds of angry voices emanated from inside as I reached for the knob. A semi chaotic scene greeted me as I strode in. Larousse was chasing Adelmar around the room, waving his fist furiously at the wolf.

His arm was missing.

Stopping, they smiled sheepishly at me, the demon’s arm still suspended between Adelmar’s jaws.

“What is going on here?” I asked wearily, raising an eyebrow in their direction.

“Oh hello darling. Wow, this is awkward. I just popped in to hear how it’s going with my favourite little hell raiser when this...this thing jumped me.” He replied with relish, reaching out and yanking his arm free from the wolf. With a dramatic grunt, he screwed it back in. Adelmar licked his lips a few times in the direction of the demon before turning and heading to his comfy sleeping spot.

“I’m tired and hungry and I need some sleep, can’t this wait till tomorrow?” Throwing my leather jacket over a nearby seat, I reached for bottle of orange juice in the fridge and started downing it.

“’Fraid not kid, you and I need a serious talk. It seems you have a talent for running into trouble around every corner. You kicked open a hornet’s nest this morning that’s for damn sure. The entire Tokyo underworld is going ape kaka about what happened between you and the Russian.”

“He started it, it was completely unprovoked.” I replied, lounging on the leather couch and throwing my head back.

“Do you think Natalov gives a damn about who started this war? He is pure evil and will wipe out anyone that stands in his way. You’ve seen what he is capable of and the lengths will go to.”

“So what do you suggest I do? I’m all ears.” The events of the last few days were catching up to me and the weariness sat deep in my bones.

“Run kid, run and don’t you dare look back.”