2* Tracks And Teams

DAVE

I could feel it.

Feel the rush of adrenaline, feel the blood pounding in my ears, feel the rush of air against my ears, my eyes, my nose, and my whole body.

I could feel nothing apart from that. Running made me feel like I was just as weightless and free as air.

Running made me incapable of feeling or thinking about other things and that was the sole reason why I loved running.

I wished I could say that.

I loved running quite alright but that was sole because it's the only thing that made me feel relevant.

I didn't have to feel like a failure with running.

I didn't have to feel unseen, unknown, heard, and most importantly, I don't have to feel like a mistake.

I crossed the finish line and my hands automatically went to my knees as I exhaled loudly.

"Wow, that's my boy," Coach Kim commented and he was beside me in no seconds, his right hand patting my back and I was sure he has that ever proud smile he always has on his face whenever I win any race even though I couldn't see his face.

"Impressive," He continued as I stood on my feet, "Now, I don't think we have to worry about the National championship again because we're for sure going to bring the trophy home." He boasted and I couldn't help the small frown that marred my face.

I didn't understand what he meant by that.

"You just shed 2 more seconds off your records son," He explained and I couldn't help the yelp of happiness that escaped my lips.

I did what?

"Yeah, this is both a personal and a national best, congratulations son, you've made both I and the team proud once again." He praised and he pulled me in for a quick hug and an even quicker pat on the back before he walked off to where my other teammates were.

I couldn't contain my happiness, couldn't contain my giddiness and self-fulfillment.

Did I shed two whole seconds off my record of 13:29 seconds?

I was so happy that I could have even started dancing right there and then. There were no words to describe how happy I was feeling.

All the months of rigorous exercises and training have always paid off but now, they were paying off even more. And I was sure like Coach Kim said, I was making him and the whole of Coven proud but I wasn't so sure about my teammates.

"Where are all your heads at? Do you call what you just did running? You guys call yourself athletes with the nonsense you're doing on the field. I'm sorry but you guys are not the ones I've been coaching for years now."

I turned towards Coach Kim's voice and as usual, he was busy condemning the rest of the team.

"Why do you guys keep slacking off? Why must you make me feel so frustrated with training every morning? Can't you all try to be like David? The dude keeps breaking his records and setting new ones and what do y'all do? Add even more seconds to your already long seconds! I don't work twice as hard as every other coach in this school only to have my students become failures on the field. Do you hear me? Because that's what you all are at this moment, F A I L U R E S. Failures!!" He even had to spell the word for them and I felt my heart drop, felt my heart shatter on their behalf.