12 - poison

unfortunately, Hikari had already resigned from her job the other day since she thought she could successfully escape. now that such plans became a failure, and she's pushed to stay with Ran, she felt miserable that she wouldn't have an excuse to leave this damned place.

well, she loved his place—his bedroom and balcony especially. it was truly Ran she wanted to get away from.

it was still five in the morning, the girl having woken up early since she did nothing but sleep yesterday. she knew that Ran wouldn't be up yet so she took the liberty of waltzing outside without any worries of bumping into him.

she was headed to the kitchen, having no choice but to pass his bedroom. Hikari stilled before his door. if Ran was asleep, she could kill him now given he doesn't wake up before then. unfortunately, the knife one of Red Flower's men gave to her was confiscated by Ran.

she still had the other thing they gave her to help in killing him, but that would be saved for later. Hikari quickly went to the kitchen and grabbed the sharpest knife from the rack, running a finger experimentally across the blade.

she was cut without effort, her blood dripping down the floor. if she were to slit Ran's throat, she'd have to expect blood. she was exposed to violence and gore from her years under Red Flower, but she rarely inflicted injuries.

but as Ran said, she can't afford to be a saint. he was right.

she felt cold inside her skin as her heartbeat quickened. her footsteps were quiet against the floor as she makes it back to Ran's room, the knife held tightly by her side. the door was unlocked per usual, and as she opened it, Ran's dark room felt eerie.

the room was in purple and dark blue hues from the early dawn; it was at this hour that Ran would often finish his paperwork and climb into bed with her. however, Hikari couldn't move an inch from the doorway.

his room that should've been clean and neat had clothes all over the floor. he should've been alone, yet two bodies were on the bed under the covers. her heart sank, along with it, her determination. her mind once more felt fucked up as she stared at them.

Ran was facing the balcony, his back to her, while a woman with blonde hair lay beside him with her arm over his frame. she felt disgusted and appalled—inexplicably betrayed.

she felt conscious of her own breath like she forgot how to breathe. she didn't know how to feel or as to why she even feels the way she does. as if unable to take the sight of them any longer, she hastily goes in his bathroom, the lights automatically turning on.

she looked at herself through the broad mirror, and after seeing her reflection, she wanted to laugh at her own face. she closely looked like how she did when her brother died. she finally remembered the knife in her hand, looking at it intently as if she was trying to gather herself.

I still have to kill him.

it would be a hassle if the maid woke up, so she's decided to slit his throat as quickly as possible. his neck had a tattoo in front of it, a spot she has always loved to kiss. she huffs at herself. they were useless thoughts and recollections.

before she even knew it, she was already by his side, holding the blade to his throat. he still had visible cuts and bruises from wherever he got them from, but he looked peaceful while he slept. the fact that he wasn't dead yet made her want to scream at herself in frustration.

was it guilt? was the fault her own or was it simply the matter of who was at the edge of the blade?

she shouldn't humanize Ran. he was a monster anyway. the throat she'll slit had no history of her lips across it, as is the person she'll kill had no memories with her at all. no lying together in bed, no teasings she'd kick him for, no chaste kisses while he thought she was asleep.