Chapter 16

If I hadn't been fully rested and ready minded, I'd have passed out on the spot. "You…you can speak?!"

   The gigantic cat smiled and purred as the female moved up and scratched at his neck with her claws. "Yes. It's a trait only Olkets from my lineage possess. The problem is that Olkets can only have one wife and that one wife can only spawn one babe. Therefore my trait cannot be passed on throughout the tribe. If it could I would let it flourish, but tis a pity that I cannot."

   I nodded and then cleared my throat before telling him the story of the Faerys. The female listening pinned her ears back and cowered behind the king. He reached back and shook his head, purring to soothe her while he scratched behind her ears. Suddenly she leapt from his throne and ran out another door.

   The king shook his head. "It's alright. She's always been timid. It only got worse when we lost our son. Anyway, what do you wish for me to do?"

   I explained  that he should keep his people advised and that he shouldn't let any creature go without hearing this. He nodded and I paused  before turning. "What's your name?"

   He smiled that weird cat smile and leaned back in his throne. "Ezil."

   I cocked my head. "That's it? I would've expected something so much more powerful from a creature of your size and power."

   He laughed, but then it fell flat. "Wait. I need to ask you something. How many Olkets lived in the hybrid lands? You told me you lived there."

   I bit my lip as I pondered. "I probably couldn't put a proper number to it. There are just so many. I only know two by name. That's Jeepa and Azar. I've been told that Azar is actually fully Olket."

   Ezil smiled brightly and gave a loud call to where his wife had run. She warily snuck back in, clothed this time. Ezil leapt up and grabbed her paws in his huge claws, meowing excitedly at her. She brightened and looked at me, rushing over and purring as she hugged and rubbed her neck against me. "Ummm. What did I do?"

   Ezil smiled brightly. "Azar! He's my son! My long lost son!"

   At first I was excited, then confused. "But Azar has never spoken to me. Or anyone for that matter."

   "He wanted to hide his lineage from the public because he knew that he would be obsessed over. So he went into hiding. He left here and went elsewhere and when we expected him to return, he didn't come back."

   I saw the pain in Ezil's eyes. His wife looked just as pained. Their son hadn't come home. "Well. I'll speak to him next time I see him. I'll tell him his father wants him to come home."

   Ezil smiled brightly. "Thank you! You don't understand how happy this makes us."

   I smiled and nodded, saying my farewells before leaving that place. I sighed and flapped forlornly into the sky. What was  I supposed to do? It had been nearly a week since Sprite had gone missing. What were those Faerys doing to her? I shook my head and landed in a tree, checking to make sure that Scarlet was okay in my quiver. No one ever saw her there thank God.

   She flew up and smiled at me. "I see you are doing better, but you are still not fully recovered from your grief."

   I nodded and sniffed, feeling the tears sneaking up on me again. "I just want her back. How do I stand a chance against seven Faerys who can literally destroy the universe?"

   Scarlet smiled and flew up to my face, touching my eyelids softly. "Sleep. Damond is the source of knowledge. He is know throughout the Picklet world as the leader of vast knowledge. He can give you the answers you need."

   I shook my head. "I'm not tired yet. It's no point in sleeping. Besides, he's probably not even there."

   Before she could argue, I stood and stretched my wings, pausing to let her settle in my quiver before lifting into the air. Marhets and Fockses were left. The other tribes said they'd spread the word themselves to minor tribes. I soared over the wide Roseland forest before drifting down towards a deep flowery valley.

   As I flew over, dozens of Marhet mothers and babies stared and pointed. Males perked up and stared as well. I lowered myself until I could come to a stop away from the main males. I held up my hands. "I need to speak to whoever's in charge here. I come peacefully."

   The gruff males all looked at each other before one gestured for me to follow him towards a cave in the edge of the valley. Unlike the other main homes of tribes, this one was modest and was only home to small caves for houses and fields of flowers and tall grasses which every Marhet seemed to be indulging in. I watched as babies and adults simply sat around talking and munching on the bright pink flower buds and tall tender grass stalks. Blossom's name meant more to me now that's just her beauty.

   I was escorted into the largest cave and I wasn't taken aback by the sight this time. A very modest sized Marhet of very basic structure sat on a large throne, with a sweet lovely female in his lap. Instead of being endlessly sexual in their flirting, they were actually quite sweet and actually kind of adorable. What was cuter than two bunnies kissing? That's what it looked like anyway.

   The leader glanced at me and cocked his head. "Who is this?"

   I introduced myself quickly and explained the situation before we could get off on a tangent. He looked appalled by the news and his wife began to tremble in fear. This female was actually heavily pregnant and was obviously due soon. The male sighed and sat up straight, letting his wife readjust. "Thank you for letting me know. Now can I know something else? My tribe didn't hear about the hybrid adoption day that the hybrid lands hosted until after it was long over and done with. The brother of one of the Marhet hybrids let us know after he had left."

   "I know that hybrid! Her names Blossom."

   The Marhet smiled and nodded. "We're quite familiar with her. Her mother was a human, but her father was actually my brother. The Marhets who rescued her as a babe were just a random group of delinquents who didn't understand that we would accept her. They turned her over for money and I've regretted letting them do it ever since."

   I smiled, but then shrugged. "Well I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear that, but she's married and has a baby now. I'm not sure how willing she'd be to come back."

   "Well not just her, boy. All the Marhet hybrids who wish to come home. Well accept them. It isn't their fault they were conceived in such a way."

   I laughed for once and nodded vigorously. "Yeah that'd be great! I'll make sure to spread the news once this Faery problem blows over. If it does blow over. Now, can I know your name?"

   He nodded and at up straighter. "It's Farnil. A very simple and for a very simple creature."