Chapter 5

As we flew through the trees towards mom and dads home, I couldn't help but glance down repeatedly at the baby bump which had begun to slightly swell overnight. It wasn't quite a full on swollen nine month size, but more like a modest two month size.

   She quietly shifted in my arms and as I landed on the porch, she merely turned and buried her face in my chest. I walked in and dad was cooking while mom knitted something small and soft, most likely something for the baby. I set her down on the couch to the side and drew mom and dad close, explaining, once again, the story about Avery's hatred of our child.

   Fay gasped at the end of the story and clasped her hands together. "That monster of a man. I never liked the looks of him."

   Thyte shook his head. "It's always the quiet ones they say. Don't worry, son. Well look after her, but I need an answer. Is that baby really gonna be here in three weeks?"

   I shrugged and glanced back at her, holding her stomach in her sleep. "That bump wasn't there yesterday. I think it's true and you'd better keep on top of things. Anyway, I should be back in a couple days. She gave me a location and we found it on a map. I think I can get there and get back in about three or four days."

   Mother rushed forward and hugged my neck. "Please be careful. Don't get hurt and come back in one piece."

   I laughed and kissed her cheek. "I will mother. Don't worry about me."

   Thyte patted me on the back and pulled me into a hug, but whispered into my ear. "Don't encounter anyone you don't trust. If you see any sort of Faery or sense any Faery magic, fly as fast as you can."

   I nodded and walked to the door, taking a deep breath before soaring out. As I flew through the village, a voice called out to me. "Hey Zeek! Wait up!"

   I glanced to my right at where a Zytrey about my age was flapping madly to catch up with me. "Dude where ya goin?"

   "Not anywhere that you wanna go, Neelan."

   "Ha! Try me."

   I sighed and kept flying. The other Zytrey wasn't bad and all, but he could be a bother sometimes. He was the only Zytrey my age that would talk to me, but he was  perhaps the only Zytrey I didn't want talking to me. "Neelan. I'm serious. And so is what I'm doing."

   He growled and latched onto my legs, dragging me down to the forest flood with his weight. "Nothing's too serious for me to help with."

   I snarled and whirled on him, flaring my wings and shrieking like an eagle. I kicked out and he was sent hurtling towards the gigantic trampoline in the center of the village. He hit it and bounced up, unharmed. Before he could recover I had taken off into the trees.

   I sighed and shook myself to settle my ruffled feathers. He had no reason to slow me down on a mission to save my child. He could've asked what the problem was instead of playing around with male fighting techniques that had clearly sparked my instincts a little too much.

   I lifted up through the trees and was soon soaring over the vast stretches of the Roselands. I glanced down and saw one of the many Beerth tribes sitting together in a campsite. I saw elders chatting, males fighting, females gossiping, and even one male and female sneaking off to enjoy some secret time. I looked away and kept flying. Beerths weren't really my favorite creatures. They smelled bad, had bad temperaments and were ugly as sin. Not to mention one had tried to rape my mother. I guess I only got along with Beerth hybrids like Zazil.

   As I kept flying, I closed my eyes and let a thermal lift me up and spin me in a wide circle. This was the exhilaration I lived for. Flight was the freedom that let me get away from daily problems. I continued on straight and I soon passed by a lone hawk circling. It gave me a quick glance and I called out to it with a hawk screech. It responded back and did a somersault over me. I smiled and kept moving quickly. Suddenly everything went silent around me and I knew something was wrong. I looked down, but I didn't see anything. Out of instinct I did a spiral downwards and swooped to the left, feeling something humongous and scaly fly past. I glanced over my shoulder and laughed. "A bit early for fake attacks. Huh, Blackvein?"

   The Drago laughed a deep guttural laugh before swooping up beside me. "I was hoping to give you a little scare. Anyways, how's the family?"

   I shook my head sadly and gestured down to a tall tree in the forest. I quickly explained everything to him and he absorbed it just as quick. He sighed and shook his head. "I'm sorry. I can't help you. I don't know anything about Faerys or their magic, but I do know that Sprite's home is closer than you think. The name of her town was Harplek. Harplek is only a one days flight from here. Trying to find her actual home will be harder."

   I sighed and nodded. "Thanks anyway. I need to keep moving now. I gotta get as much information about Faerys as I can. As quick as I can."

   He nodded and waved me goodbye as I kept flying. The shorter trip was good news, but I hated that I had no one with me on this trip.