S s

Sacrospinous Fixation
An operation to restore support to the uterus or vaginal vault in women post hysterectomy. Through a cut in the vagina, stitches are placed into a strong ligament (sacrospinous ligament) in pelvis and then to the cervix or vaginal vault.

Salpingectomy          Removal of one or both of the Fallopian tubes

Salpingectomy
Removal of one or both of the Fallopian tubes.

Sarcoma
          Cancer of the connectives tissue.

Scaphoid fracture
          Break in the wrist. Symptoms: Pain @ base of thumb which is worse with use of hand

SCDS - Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome
          Rare condition caused by an abnormal thinness or incomplete closure of the bony canals in the inner ear. Causes hearing loss, sound distortion & balance problems triggered by loud noises or intercranial pressure caused by sneezing or coughing.

Sciatica
          A condition that can lead to pain in the back & legs. It occurs when pain travels along the sciatic nerve pathway. Starts in lower spine & travels through hip & buttock, & down back of leg into foot.

SEEG - Stereoelectroencephalography
          Recording electriencephalographic signals via depth electrodes. May be used in patients with epilepsy, not responding to medical treatments & are candidates to receive brain surgery in order to control seizures.

SFBC Strict Fluid Balance Chart

Shunt
          Hole or small passage which moves/allows movement of fluid from one part of the body to another.
          Either congenital or acquired (iatrogenic) shunts, biological/mechanical

SIADH Syndrome of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone Secretion 

Sickle Cell Crisis/Disease
          See pathophysiology book for more info. Sickle-shaped red blood cells climb together to blood small blood vessels carrying blood to organs, muscles & bones, obstructing flow.

Sjögrens Syndrome
          An immune disorder characterised by dry eyes & mouth. Body attacks healthy cells responsible for saliva & tear production, and often occurs with other disorders including rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.

SLB - Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy
Also SLNB.
          The Sentinal Lymph node is the first lymph node to which cancer cells are most likely to spread from a primary tumor. If positive, cancer is present in the sentinal lymph node and may have spread to other nearby lymph nodes (regional lymph nodes), & possibly even organs.