A a

AAA
          First part of aorta.
          Aneurysms here can have catastrophic consequences, and therefore should probably have a resus plan (ARP).

Abdominoperineal Resection with Stoma
Surgery to remove the anus, the rectum, and part of the sigmoid colon through an incision made in the abdomen. The end of the intestine is formed into a stoma. Anus is stitched shut.
          Patient cannot sit or lay on back for minimum of 7 days.

Ablation
          Destruction

Abscess vs Cyst
Cyst = abnormal cells growing around the outer layer of the sac, may be hollow, a hard lump, or fluid filled. Abscess = pus-filled purulent cavity occurring through organisms, bacteria, and fungi.

ACDF
          Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion.

ACR
          Albumin-creatinine ratio

Addison Disease
          Adrenal glands don't make enough of certain hormones.

Adenoids
          Fleshy lumps of tissue out of sight at the back of the inside of the nose & the top of the throat. With the tonsils, they trap and destroy germs that enter the child's mouth and nose.

Adenovirus Infection
          Commonly causes respiratory symptoms illnesses, but can cause various other illnesses/presentations, depending on infecting serotype.

ADF
          Anterior decompression & Fusion.

Adhesiolysis
          A procedure to break up and remove adhesions. Minimally invasive procedure also called Lysis of Adhesions (thick or thin bands of scar tissue adjoining organs and structures).

ADL
          Activity of Daily Living.

Akathisia
          Subjective feeling if motor restlessness manifested by a compelling need to be in constant movement.

AKI - Acute Kidney Injury (POST COVID)
AKI has been noted to be a consequence of COVID-19 infections, however we only have theories on what may cause this.
HTN commonly causes kidney issues by damaging blood vessels of the kidney and affecting their ability to filter blood. Over time, this can cause kidney failure.
Theories on the patho:
Coronavirus targeting kidney cells
☞↓ O2 causes kidney malfunction
☞ Cytokine storms can destroy kidney tissue
☞ Cod19 causing clots, that can clog the kidneys

reference:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-kidney-damage-caused-by-covid19

Aldactone 
          See Spiralactone. Potassium sparing Diuretic.

Alopecia Areata
          Round patches of hair loss..

Alopecia Totalia (AT)
          Complete hair loss on scalp.

Amlodipine 
          Calcium Channel Blocker for lowering BP (relaxing vessels)

Anarthria
          Speechlessness due to sever loss of neuromuscular control over the speech musculature.

Angioma
          A benign growth comprising of small blood vessels, appearing anywhere in the body.

Angioplasty
Using a balloon to stretch open a narrowed or blocked artery.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
          Autoimmune blood disorder wherein disorder where immune system attacks the normal proteins in the blood.

ANTT
          Aseptic Non-Touch Technique

Aortic Root Dilation
          An aortic root that has expanded through an aneurysm.

Aperients
          Medication for constipation.

Apixiban
          Anticoagulant ☞ brand name 'Eliquis.' To treat and prevent blood clots & prevent stroke in people with non-valvular AF through directly inhibiting factor Xa. 

ARIF - Arthroscopic Reduction and Internal Fixation
"Arthroscopic reduction" meaning surgery using arthroscope, and "internal fixation" meaning bones held together weight metal pins, plates, rods, screws, or other hardware internally.

Aromasin
          Breast Cancer medication

ARP
          Acute Resuscitation Plan.

Arthroplasty
          Surgical Reconstruction of replacement of a joint.

Ascites
          Collection of fluid (can be even 22 litres) within the abdomen, and can prevent movement. Very uncomfortable, sometimes painful, can make breathing difficult, and can be a precursor for infection within the abdomen.
          Note, fluid may potentially move up into chest and surround lungs, including causing collapsed lungs.
          Drained out in combination with Albumin infusions to prevent hypovolaemic shock.

ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorder

Atonic Bladder
          Flaccid/a-contractileㅁ bladder. A bladder where muscles do not fully contract, making it difficult to urinate.

ATOR
At time of report

Atorvastatin (lipitor)
          Statin. Works by slowing cholesterol production to reduce cholesterol build up on artery walls.

(Breast) Augmentation Mastopexy
Surgical procedure to lift breasts to a higher position on chest walls to augment breast shape and volume.

Augmentin Duo
          Combo Antibiotic for bacterial infections.
☞ Amoxicillin
☞ Clavulante / clavulanic acid

AUR Acute Urinary Retention

Autologous Graft
          Autologous - same individual.
          A graft taken from another area of the patient's own body.

Autologous
          Cells or tissues obtained from the same individual. Eg., autologous bone marrow transplants.

Axilla
          The anatomical region under the shoulder joint where the arm connects to the shoulder, containing a variety of neurovascular structures, including the axillary artery, axillary vein, brachial plexus, and lymph nodes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547723/

AxR - Abdominal X-ray

AWS
          Alcohol withdrawal syndrome.