eight.

Why do you think it's dangerous for a jock to have genuine intentions?

That had been all that Valentina had written on her sheet of notebook paper before she gave it to her teacher to be sent. She spent her free period in the courtyard as she tried to figure out the lyrics to the song she had been writing.

"The sun is just rising up, mother birds feeding their young. The light of a brand-new day, I think we've finally found a home in this place."

"That sounds good."

Valentina tenses and relaxes when she sees that it's only Haley standing there.

"It'll sound much better when you hear it with my guitar," Valentina says.

"Oh?" Haley says as she takes a seat across from Valentina, "I thought you didn't play for anyone."

"Well, you said I'd be able to play for someone someday," Valentina shrugs, "Since you already heard part of the song, I might as well play for you."

Haley laughs, "You sure know how to make a girl feel special."

"I've been told that once or twice," Valentina teases, "But in all seriousness, I will play the song for you once I've touched it up."

"Awesome," Haley tells her, "I'll be waiting desperately to hear-"

Haley leans over and looks at her notebook, "You called the song Blood?"

"Is that judgment I hear in your tone? Because I don't play for judgy people," Valentina says and Haley laughs.

"No judgment, I promise," Valentina watches as the tutor stands, "I have to go help Nathan with his history."

"Here's a tip, tell him to use condoms, that way he doesn't repeat it," Valentina jokes. Haley shakes her head at the comment as she walks away and Valentina looks at her notebook, a weird warm feeling coming over her.

The seat that was occupied by Haley is quickly filled with Peyton and at the sight of the blonde, Valentina closes her notebook as casually as she can as she looks up at Peyton.

"Please tell me you're going to this thing tonight."

"It is at my house," Valentina says, "Well one of my houses."

"So, you'll be there?" Peyton asks, "Because I need you there."

Valentina raises an eyebrow, "You need me there?"

"Brooke – I think she's planning something involving either Nathan or Lucas and I need a buffer. That buffer being you," Peyton says.

"Wow, I went from possible hookup to friend to buffer in less than a week. You're messing with my head Sawyer," Valentina says, and Peyton rolls her eyes playfully.

Valentina smiles, "But I will gladly serve as your buffer Friday night."

"Thank you," Peyton tells her, "And because I'm a good person I won't ask about the contents of your diary."

"Diary?" Valentina asks curiously and Peyton's eyes drop to the notebook that sat in front of her. Green eyes met Valentina's as she stood from the picnic table.

"See you later," Peyton says with a smile as she walks back toward the school building.

Friday rolls around much quicker than Valentina would like, and she finds herself in her bedroom at Dan and Deb's house with her mother fixing her makeup. Valentina didn't like makeup, not really, but she loved her mom and her mom loved doing her makeup, so she let her.