x

These next few chapters will focus a lot on growing your relationship with Aesop rather than anything to do with Norton. There will still be mentions of him but he won't be a focused factor.

Also, I'll be changing the pronouns for y/n to they/them. Just for inclusion 😩🛐

Emily, being the sweetheart she is, had given both you and Norton three days off matches to heal from your new bruises. Though she wasn't happy with the fact you went up to fight him - she was understanding to say the least. So you spent your days relaxing and chatting with others in the mansion. Kevin had long ago given up on trying to get with you (whether it be because you were with Aesop or because of Norton, you'll never know) meaning you could now spend time with him normally.

To say the least, he was really fun.

Currently, he was running around the manor trying to escape a laughing William. Oh, and the cowboy of course had to have you on his shoulder. With each step the man took you bounced and gave what sounded to be something between a scream and a laugh, reaching over to try and grab William - your saving grace during this moment.

On the contrary of the two men, the one who should be your saving grace - Aesop - was sat on the worn sofa of the common area beside Vera. The woman had her arms crossed with an amused smile playing on her lips while Aesop would laugh every other moment, loving the sight of his significant other having so much fun.

"You know," Vera started, her eyes not once detaching from the sight of the teacher, the cowboy and forward. Aesop turned and looked at her, seeing her lips pull into a wider grin. "I'm really glad to know y/n has such a wonderful partner." She finished, finally turning to look at the boy.

Feeling his cheeks flush at the compliment, he turned away. "You give me too much credit. Anyone would treat them like royalty."

"That's true, yes. But I'll tell you this - the fact you trust them and they trust you back just as much, it shows how much love you two feel for each other."

"Trust?" The masked man breathed out. He knew of the word but he couldn't say he was familiar with the feeling - not many people from his previous life were good enough for him to 'trust'. "Love is about trust?"

Vera chuckled as she folded her right leg over her left, her purple dress ruffling with her movement. She had mentioned something about getting a new dress, but Aesop had heard about that a week ago - just how long does it take to get new dresses? (He'll never know, after all; the only clothing the manor had given him was his embalmer outfit, the exorcist, trickster and hamlet. Which in his honest opinion, weren't enough if you didn't count the cosplay outfits.)

"Well, it's not only about trust, but trusting your partner does have a big role in holding a healthy relationship." She smiled, her eyes stuck on the teacher that laughed and danced around with William and Kevin.

Aesop turned and gave her a curious look. "Did trust play a big part in your relationship?"

The woman fell still - frozen in time for only a second, no longer than two. She then laughed, holding a gloved hand up to cover her mouth. "Aesop, dear - trust played a very big part in ending my relationship."

The silver haired boy gasped. "You and your soulmate didn't work out?"

"Mhm." She nodded, back to her usual happy persona. "Can you believe that even in a world where the perfect partner is made for you, there are still cheaters? Crazy - right?" She clapped, but with the way her eyes darkened, Aesop doubted she found humor in the story. "And a woman who had no remorse for her sister, has even less remorse for some man."

Later that night, back in the safety of your bedroom, Aesop decided to speak to you about his odd interaction with the perfumer.

"She said that?" You quirked a brow, carefully drying the damp hair of the boy who had returned from his bath. You always liked drying others' hair - soothing in a way.

He nodded. "Her soulmate probably cheated on her."

"You think?" You snorted. "Well obviously, smart stuff. I'm honestly not surprised she did what she did."

"You aren't?"

Tossing the damp towel into the laundry basket in your room, you took a seat beside the boy on the bed. "Well we all have our dark pasts and as much as I love both you and Vera - you're both still murderers. I wouldn't be surprised hearing a story or two about people you've killed."

He hummed. "And yet you're still my partner."

"I didn't say I was innocent!" You laughed. "I have... my own dark secrets too."

Laying down on the mattress, the embalmer folded his hands atop his abdomen and stared at the roof. "You've never really told me much about your life before the manor - only that you were a teacher."

"Would you like me to tell you about it then?" You asked with a smile, leaning down to rest your head on his chest. His heart thumped loudly in his chest, and had you not known of his past, you would say this were the heart of a most innocent man with hopes and dreams and aspirations.

He hummed, the sound sending vibrations through his chest and tickling your temples. "If you're comfortable enough - yes please."

"Very well."