14

Inara and her choir colleagues rose to the applause of the congregation, ready to present their piece for the evening Church Service.

She loved the choir because it was where she could momentarily forget problems and just participate in being part of the music.

Today was a free day before Lemuel's family would meet hers the next day and nervous as she was about that, she had decided to forget about her present problems.

She adjusted her robe, straightening it presentably and stepping up to the microphone as the keyboardist began playing the keys to the hymn I'll Stand By Until The Morning (Fierce and Wild The Storm is Raging)

When he cued her in, she sang;

Fierce and wild the storm is raging
Round a helpless bark,
On to doom 'tis swiftly driving,
O'er the waters dark!

The rest of the choir joined her at the chorus:

Joy, behold the Savior,
Joy, the message hear,
I'll stand by until the morning,
I've come to save you, do not fear

Yes, I'll stand by until the morning,

I've come to save you, do not fear, do not fear

As the short interlude of the melody that would lead her to take the second verse played, she exchanged smiles with Amara who was watching her from the congregation.

She also saw her father holding her mother's hand as they watched. They were always emotional when she sang and she loved her family so much. It reminded her that soon, she would be married, leaving the home she had grown up in. The thought scared her but she remained composed enough to fall into taking the second verse;

Weary, helpless, hopeless seamen

Fainting on the deck,

With what joy they hail their Saviour,

As he hails the wreck!

The choir joined her in the chorus again, singing;

Joy, behold the Savior,
Joy, the message hear,
I'll stand by until the morning,
I've come to save you, do not fear

Yes, I'll stand by until the morning,

I've come to save you, do not fear, do not fear

As the repeating interlude that would lead her to the next verse played, something about the last four lines in the chorus had sparked deep emotions in her and she felt tears filling her eyes.

She knew she needed saving and she was very afraid but she managed to take the third verse in a shaky voice that she saw affecting the congregation emotionally;

On a wild and stormy ocean,

Sinking neath the wave,

Souls that perish heed the message

Christ has come to save!

As her worried choir members joined her in the chorus, she stopped singing halfway, haven reached her breaking point. It stirred up the congregation a bit and to prevent things from going sideways, she had no choice but to leave.

Blocking the sob that was escaping her mouth with one hand, she stepped away from the microphone and ran away, escaping by the nearest corridor through which Ministers accessed the altar.

As she went, she thankfully heard Alex's voice replacing her on the last verse. She didn't stop until she was in the parking lot at her father's car.

Would God save her? She wondered, looking at the engagement ring on her finger. Would He save her from Lemuel? The only reprieve she knew that she had were the few days she had left with her family and then she would have to go away with him. She didn't know how she would survive it and trying to calm herself, she quietly prayed for help.

She saw her parents and sister coming out to find her and remained there until they reached her.

"I am sorry dad, I'm really sorry." she apologized but he just hugged her and allowed her to cry on his shoulders.

"It's called wedding fever my dear." he said comfortingly. "Your mother had it too and now, see how fine we are. Just relax, let's go home."

When they disengaged, her mother gave her a handkerchief and she dried her eyes.

"You'll be fine dear, it's natural." Her mother encouraged her.

"Thanks mum."

"If marriage is such a hectic..." Amara began.

"Don't start." her mother stopped her. "Next thing we know, you'll be saying that you don't want to get married."

Amara shrugged but remained speechless. Indeed, that was what she had been about to say.

"Beware of your words." her father threw at her as he opened the car. "Words are spirit. They have life."

"I know daddy. Inara, let me help you with your robe."

"Thanks." Inara responded.

She removed the uniform and handed it to her sister. Then they all got into the car and her father drove off, with Inara dreading the coming days.

Seeking immediate comfort, she sank into the seat and rested her head on her sister's welcoming shoulder. You brought this on yourself, her heart told her and she didn't deny it. But all she needed right there was comfort for as long as she could get it.

As though, it were an answer to her prayer, Amara held her hand and in a slight way, she felt some comfort and closed her eyes as her sister sang like a lullaby, the last part of the chorus of the song she had earlier been presenting;

I'll stand by until the morning,
I've come to save you, do not fear

Yes, I'll stand by until the morning,

I've come to save you, do not fear, do not fear