t w e n t y - f o u r

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - f o u r 

"Okay, here's what we've theorised so far," Alden speaks, once all the lycans they were waiting for come in.

They all pile onto the floor and sit lazily on the carpet. Javis joins them, after handing Mekhi his coffee, who lounges on the edge of his desk. His half joins him, swinging short legs aimlessly.

She doesn't really listen as Alden explains what they had discussed already in the office, about a few hours ago. During that time, she had napped and ate some dinner. Her head leans against Mekhi's shoulder, fingers fiddling with the material of the hoodie she had stolen from him, head thinking.

"Hey," it's a whisper, leaning forward and catching his eyes. Amusement flickers in his eyes, raising a brow in questioning. She shuffles closer to him, letting her arms rest on his thighs.

"Are you okay?" tilting her head, cheeks kissed with pink and mouth slightly parted with her overbite. Amber hues blink at him.

The male had been in deep thought for the last few hours.

Mekhi lets air run through his nose, tattooed fingers picking up her hand, letting his thumb rub back and forth. His other hand picks up the mug next to him, taking a sip of the dark and bitter coffee waiting for him.

He'd been a little haunted with the events of the day, from the morning where Ember had told him about Lazar, to the moment where he had found out that they weren't the first pairing against the Law – if their theory was on the right lines. Lazar and Ember's mother were the first ones the Moon had changed the way she paired soulmates for. And the Council had attempted to hide and rid it.

The only difference was Lazar was a mere wolf and easily silenced. Mekhi was a King – the Lycan King. Such a male wasn't as easily silenced. He found it eerie.

But what bothered him the most, was that potentially it was his own mother that had the hand in Ember's mother's death, which led to the downfall of Lazar, and Ember's unfortunate childhood. Guilt sizzles in him, beats him down and has the male walk with a form broken in shame. Ember didn't deserve that, and it was because of his lineage that she had suffered such an awful fate.

Her features frown with his thoughts, and he's startled when she swings herself into his lap, legs wrapped and hooked together around his waist.

Her hands cup his face, soft and warm. She brings his head towards hers, sitting as tall she can so their foreheads can meet.

"It's not your fault. It's not your mother's fault either. I promise," tone soft and brimming with the truth. The male hurts, beast hating that she had been put through a lot, because of an action stemming from his Kingdom.

She didn't deserve any of it. Not with a soul as white as hers.

Could he have prevented it?

"Hey," it's a little firmer. His eyes lift to her, a little lost and bright. Her own eyebrows knit together, pressing a kiss at the very top of the bridge of the nose.

"Stop it. You can't think like that. We don't even know if this is what actually happened. And if it did, you can't blame yourself, or anyone who had part in. Maybe the Council, but that's it. What happened, has happened, and feeling like this won't change it. Your mother did what was best for her Kingdom. I can't blame her for that. And I know my own mother wouldn't. I don't harbour any hatred or anger. My mother lives peacefully, and now the Moon lets me live peacefully. With you. So stop it, okay?" her words are soft and soothing.