f i f t e e n

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

f i f t e e n

The clock strikes noon, the sound of the bell being strung echoing loudly in the room, bouncing off the walls.

They were in one of the largest and oldest Council Courts, normally dealing with cases where Ancient Law had been compromised. It was very rarely used.

Similarly to the lycan palace, the grounds held ancient rooted beauty within them. It mirrored a cathedral almost, walls holding windows made from painted glass, and tall pillars embedded themselves into the corner of the room. Written scripture of the Ancient Law and of the Moon's prayers were carved into the walls, plastered for all to see. The room was large, and gallant with a roof looking out to the afternoon sky. Polished mahogany stands loitered the clean floor.

There was the main stand, in which five lawkeepers would sit in as judges. There were the two smaller ones, one for the left side and other for the right side, each for one of the parties coming forth. There was a large public viewing area, with a hundred seats.

All were filled today, curious to see the outcome of the very first case to enter their world. Such a thing had never been heard of, and many individuals were keen to see what the Law would do. Though, no other normal lycans had come, for Mekhi had prohibited it. He didn't need the wolf feeling overwhelmed with the eyes of many. But it was to no avail, for the hall was still full with other creatures.

Ember sits in her seat, at the very centre of the stand. The female attempts to make herself as small as possible, her hands wringing each other tight and her eyes not once moving up from her lap. She didn't want scrutiny on her, didn't want to meet faces that would judge her for what she had contributed to.

Her King sits to her right, with Javis to his own right. Micah and Thalia tail her left. Features are hard, stoic, giving no impression and certainly not cowering before the law. They only bowed to Mekhi. Alden stands before them, a large hand sprawled over a leather book, in which he had gathered everything he needed.

His expression isn't playful, but instead focused and in full concetration. Thick brows are furrowed, a hand stoking his chin as he goes through everything once more. Alden was male of many talents, and no other lycan could present Ember as well as he could, during this trial.

The wolf is holding herself up, but in reality she's fearful she'll break down in tears pretty soon. If it wasn't for the scent of her half next to her, she'd have already broken. Ember was sensitive to touch and smell – just one of those in the slightest, would be enough to fill her craving wolf. Her glasses slip of her nose, falling onto her lap.

She doesn't move a muscle, watching tattooed fingers pluck them out of her lap, and slinging them over the collar of his suit. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun, curls still avidly tumbling out regardless, but her hoodie was all the way up, mark concealed so no arising questions would start at the beginning of the case.

It's also why the King is restraining himself from pulling her into his lap. He didn't look at her, didn't show any outward emotion. He'd give nothing to the Law at the moment. Not until the time was right.

He knew patience would be of great benefit, but being patient knowing Ember was feeling the way she did, felt like pulling teeth.

Her eyes fleet up to the other side. It was still empty, and her heart drums, pounds so loudly beneath her chest, she's certain that everyone can hear. Her head dips low again, pinching her fingers before the doors of the court open and her heart falls to the pit of her stomach. Teeth sink hard into her lower lip to stop a noise coming out, and her eyes can't move away form the hoard of wolves that have entered.