chapter one .·:*¨༺ brutal

"
god,
it's brutal
out here!
"

[y/n's pov]

My knees were bouncing up and down as I sat in the front seat of the car. Kate, my step-sister, was driving. We had been in the car for almost 3 hours already before we finally arrived at our stop.

I clutched my bag, fiddling with the straps. I had just turned 16 and I thought it would be a good idea to apply for a job.

Decided to keep it simple so I chose babysitting. I didn't read the form too well and didn't realise it was a live-in job. Since it was only an 8 year old girl I tried not to panic too much.

Apparently she already had a housekeeper, something like Mrs Grose, who had stayed with her while the previous woman fled the house.

I was in a world of my own until our yellow car stopped abruptly, making me jolt forward.

"We're here."

Ahh shoot. I slowly stepped out of the car, taking in the huge building. God, how do they not get lost.

Kate had to leave so I grabbed my things from the boot of the car and found a small greenhouse.

The door was open and I pushed my way in. I looked at the trees above me.

"Hello?" My voice echoed all around.

"Ah, you must be Miss L/N, Flora's governess."

I nodded politely.

"This way."

I had to walk fast to keep up with her.

She took me to a kitchen, stopping at my room on the way to put down my bags.

"You like to keep your mouth shut, don't you?" Mrs Grose looked at me.

"I'm not the talkative type." I smiled.

"Well, Flora is."

"I'd love to meet her, where could she be?"

"She's in the stables."

Through the windows, I saw a distinctive path going down to what looked like multiple sheds.

"Take an apple for the horses dear."

I plucked a crimson red apple from the fruit bowl and shoved it in my coat pocket.

When I finally got to the stables, it was dead silence.

"Flora? Flora!" I called out, no answer.

The suspenseful sound of crows fluttered through the barns. I walk in and a large black horse kicks back on its hind legs, scaring me.

"Oh my lord!" I cry out.

"Gotcha!" A little voice squeals from behind me.

"Gosh! You terrified me!" I laughed.

A few minutes went by and I got to know the little one. Flora was showing me the horses and told me that one of them wants my apple.

I remembered about the fruit in my pocket and yanked it out, chuckling.

"How'd you know I had an apple?"

"Like I'd tell." She said, winking.

I smiled and followed her back to the house.

We had lunch and me and Flora went back to the stables before dinner.

When we got back it was late and after eating we went to bed, me and Flora had lessons the next day.

I couldn't sleep so I decided to explore, but keeping my guard up so I don't get lost.

I wandered down a corridor and I heard whispers coming from a room in the area of the house Flora says she doesn't like going into.

I was half asleep and I followed the voices, trying to figure out who they were.

There was a slamming noise from the room beside me. I walked in, expecting to see people but it was just a window.

I went over to shut it but when I got back to the door, it slammed shut and locked itself closed.

I banged on the door.

"Flora? Please let me out sweetie, you should be in bed. Flora my darling? Flora!" I cried out.

The door suddenly swung open, revealing a boy in school uniform. He had dark curly hair and a jawline that was as sharp as a knife.

"You shouldn't be in here."

"Sorry, I.. I just thought I'd heard something."

"Yeah the house is pretty brutal at night."

"Yeah." I said, walking past him, eager to get away from this awkward conversation.

"Night." He said.

"Thanks." I replied before quickly walking away.

— timeskip —

As I lay in bed I remembered the boy. Having a photographic memory comes in handy a lot. I remembered his messy curls and his brown eyes.

He was in uniform, he was obviously Flora's brother.

My question was, why is he back from school so early?

[chapter one — brutal]

a/n — psychopaths >>>>

edited and proof read