Chapter 1

Bibi had remained strong through the worst of times. She'd given her all to protecting her hometown Retropolis, using only her wits and Mr. Bat to aid her. With Bull and Crow - her closest of friends - by her side, she was an imminent, unstoppable force of nature (and knuckle sandwiches). But nothing, I repeat, nothing, could whisk her out of this new predicament she found herself sinking into, time and time again.

The few things Bibi could fathom were the after-effects of this dilemma. The distinct ringing in her ears. The feeling of her heart rising to her throat. Tickling in her stomach. Heat in her cheeks. You see, a normal person would call this something along the lines of love. However, as you probably know, Bibi wasn't like that. She was convinced that the subject of her oh so complicated feelings had cast a spell on her, condemning her to their servitude until the end of her days. And she wouldn't let that happen.

But whenever Sandy merely cast her a quick glance and sent her a gentle smile, his eyes crinkling, Bibi would find herself feeling weird all over again, her legs melting and her arms shaking at her sides. She'd forget everything in that moment - the world, the sky, the trees - it was just the two of them. Yes, it was an odd, somewhat exhilarating feeling; but at the same time, it was so foreign to her. It made her feel vulnerable and defenseless. She wondered how he could reach into her heart so easily.

To be frank, it was making her pay more attention to him. Bibi could make out every curve and crevice of his skin, memorizing the way Sandy's hair framed his face. He was short, pink, and scrawny. She didn't know how he'd gathered the provisions to lull her into this trick, but she wasn't buying into it - not for the life of her.

One fateful night, she'd stormed into Bull's Diner after a long day of brawling. Her black, slicked-back hair was ruffled into a mess and her arms were covered in cuts and burns. She'd plopped down on a stool beside the counter with narrowed eyes and her mouth pursed, making a "tsk" sound. Bravely, Bull had taken the liberty to sit on the side of her and ask what was wrong. Crow watched the two of them from the doorway, his arms in a bracing cross and legs leaning against a wooden bannister.

Bibi had groaned and put her hands behind her head, leaning backwards. "I don't know why, but-" She paused, choosing her words, "Whenever I face that sand-using bastard, the one with the cringey pink hat - I . . . I-" Her cheeks flared red, "I feel so weak!"

Bull tentatively shared a glance with Crow, who jutted his chin, gesturing encouragingly towards Bibi. "Well," Bull began, clearing his throat. He patted Bibi on the back, "There's nothing wrong with feeling defenseless. I've felt it plenty of times myself. All you have to do is work and train harder, so you can face him and win against him." Bull stood up and flexed his muscles at Bibi, as if to bolster his point.

Bibi opened her mouth, about to retort Bull's statement, but Crow cut her off. He stared into the distance, "It'll be alright, Bibi. We have your back, through and through."

Bibi sighed, her anger diminishing, and shook her head. Bull and Crow stared at her questioningly, their eyes wide. "That's . . . That's not the problem.

"He's not particularly powerful. Really, he has nothing on me. I can take him out in no more than four whacks." Bibi continued, unconsciously swinging her bat in front of her as if to model how she'd hit him. A proud smile formed on the side of Bull's face, but Crow narrowed his eyes in interest, prying further.

"So, what's the problem, then?" He pulled out his poison daggers, brandishing them in the light. He flicked his wrist back and forth, as if practicing throwing them.

Bibi's gaze shifted downward, as if embarrassed. Her hands balled into fists. After a moment, she spoke. "Whenever I beat him, there's no hatred in his eyes. He's so kind to me . . . It's almost like he sees me as a friend, when really, we haven't spoken much. And . . . and-" Bibi covered her face in her hands. "I feel so vulnerable when I'm around him! My face gets so heated, like a toaster- I can't get myself to think straight, no matter what I do. It's like he's cast a spell on me! He's out for me, I know it!!" She didn't dare say that this feeling, a feeling of weakness, was really more than what she let on. Love was a fool's game.

She snapped out of her reverie as she heard Bull beside her stifle a laugh. Crow cleared his throat, a small grin crossing his face as well.

"Bibi . . ." He began, tucking his poison daggers back into his pocket. He looked relieved, "There's nothing wrong with having feelings for someone. Hell, I thought that he had hurt you or worse, take-"

"I don't have feelings for him!!" Bibi nearly screamed, taken aback. It was not the reaction she'd hoped for, but as she stared between Crow and Bull, noticing the amusement in their expressions, she felt heat rise to her cheeks. She swung her bat from her shoulder and pointed it between them, her expression one of stone. "This is some kind of joke to you guys, isn't it?"

Crow waved his hands in front of him in an attempt to calm her down. "No, of course not."

"We're just trying to look out for you, sis." Bull added. He often called her that, even though the two of them weren't related. It stuck.

"Then tell me why I'm feeling this. Tell me how to fix it!" Bibi cupped her hands, desperate. The only thing that had made her feel this way before was Mr. Bat.

Bull and Crow shared another glance. This time, Bull was the one to speak first.

"Ask him out." He said this as it was obvious, simply crossing his arms.

Bibi stood still for a moment, dumbfounded, before she silently shook her head and stormed out of the room.