Felt Like Years - Pt. 4

[Dean's POV]

There was a long silence in the Impala after we drove away from Frost Rd. No one spoke, and the only noise made was the sound of the car speeding along the road. I looked up to the shotgun seat at Sam, who was staring out the window lost in thought. I looked over to Maddie in the driver's seat, staring long and hard at the road, her knuckles white from clutching the wheel so hard. Which was understandable; she just witnessed a blood bath commited by her own best friend. I was really shaken up, too, but of course there's no way in hell that I'd show it. Amy - Amy of all people - had murdered fugitives from the stupid Colony.

The stupid damned Colony.

I hated the Colony for everything that was happening right now. For what happened to Amy. For putting us all through this. For the blood that is currently being shed right now as we speak. People who wanted a better life, and they got slaughtered in cold blood. I shuddered.

The silence became deafening. "Why couldn't I sit in shotgun? It is my car."

No one responded. Of course. Plan B.

"Look, Maddie," I started, not wanted another long silent moment to break out again. "I know what you saw back there was-"

"Memory provoking?" Maddie cut me off. Sam perked up.

"What?" my little brother frowned. I was confused, too. What did she mean by that..?

"I.." she took a deep breath. "It's initiation."

"What's initiation?" I asked her.

"Slaughtering people," she responded shakily. "When I joined.."

"You killed innocent people," Sam finished for her quietly. Maddie nodded slowly. I sighed deeply.

"I had no freaking idea what the hell I was doing," she defended herself meekly. "All I knew is that I wanted to be a part of something. I wanted to belong somewhere. I was willing to do anything to impress Sloette. So I did what he assigned me; killed five families." She sounded so guilty, it made my heart sink.

"Wow," I breathed. The Colony's pretty damn harsh.

"This is exactly what's going to happen to Amy," Maddie shook her head. "If-" she corrected herself. "When we cure her, all of the normal human emotions will come flooding back. It'll hit her hard. So we have to intercept it before she kills more people. For her own sake."

I nodded. "Definitely."

"Hey, Madds," Sam spoke up. "Where are we going?"

I stifled a laugh. Could it be more obvious?

She gave him an amused look, and said "The Colony. We're breaking in tonight."

- + -

Leaning against Baby was my only source of comfort tonight. We were at the edge of a small meadow, with an iron gate standing lifelessly in the middle. Although the meadow was small, it felt huge and intimidating. Probably because what stood behind the gate was everyone's worst nightmare, even if it appeared to be a gate that led nowhere other than the other side of it, and nothing more. How could anyone not stumble into Colony X by mistake?

Probably because they were too dead to even touch the gate handle.

Maddie walked over to me, and leaned against the car. "How are you holding up?"

I sighed, a puff of smoke coming out of my mouth from the cold. "I don't know. I want to go in and get this over with, but at the same time, I'm just.." I shook my head.