8

Jason's pov:

The day of the charity ball had arrived and with that my suit and tie.

"For fucks sake, Dick, hurry up." I groaned as Dick tried to tie my tie.

"Well if you would stop chewing your gum then..Stop!" Dick laughed. Tim and Damien were sat down by the fireplace, unusually calm. Titus sat by Damien's leg.

"Kind of embarrassing you can't tie your own tie, Jay." Tim cackled. "How are you gonna let Damien know how to do a tie before you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Me and Damien said in unison. Dick and Tim laughed. Alfred usually helped with my tie but he was busy introducing the very early guests.

Tim and Damien left the room. Dick sighed as he sat down.

"So, have you spoken to Megan?" Dick asked.

"C'mon.." I groaned and rolled my eyes. "Can we not talk about her?"

"You're gonna have to speak to her. Like in a few moments-" Dick quickly brought his hand to his mouth. "Shit.." he muttered.

"What?" I furrowed my brows. "What do you mean 'in a few moments'?"

"Don't get mad.."

I sighed awaiting his response.

"Bruce invited Megan.."

"What?!" I got up from my seat in disbelief. "He didn't tell me this!"

"I only knew two days ago." Dick said. "She might not even come."

"And you didn't think to at least give me the heads up?" I asked. Dick just sighed.

"Just avoid her..But you should speak to her properly and maturely when the time's right." Dick dragged me up and out of the room.

I was met by the large crowd of people dressed formally. They wore dresses and suits and they were all smiling. I looked around to see if Megan was there, she wasn't. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Worried about Megan?" I jumped as Tim suddenly was beside me.

"Oh my fucking.."

"You know what, Jay, apologise to her. You kinda messed her up..with the.."

"Yeah I know.." I sighed. And I did know. I realise that I've made a huge mistake with what I did.

"There's your chance.." Tim tapped my shoulder and motioned to the door. Megan walked through the door, eyes travelling around the whole room.

I cleared my throat.

"Should I talk to her no-" I turned to Tim but he wasn't there anymore. Let me give her space. I'll speak to her later.

"Oh Megan, You look beautiful tonight.." I heard one of the women compliment her. She did. She wore a baby pink satin dress with a slit that went down to her lower back.

She looked fucking gorgeous.

I walked around the room, drinking some wine and forcing it down my throat, cringing.

"Excuse me.." Megan stood beside me reaching for a glass. I picked it up and gave it to her.

"Can we talk?" I asked her, looking her in the eyes. She gave a small nod. "We can talk upstairs, away from everyone."

She nodded and followed me out the room. I led her upstairs and to a patio.

"What's up?" She asked.

"I just wanna say that I'm sorry. Really really sorry for what I've done to you. It was..wrong and stupid and just.." I sighed. "I know you've been through a lot."

She stood there with a poker face. Not showing a sign of emotion. She just held her wine glass staring at me.

"I don't wanna ask what you've been through because I know it's none of my business and you might feel uncomfortable sharing that kinda stuff.."

She gulped down her drink and her face cringed as it went down her throat.

"It's strong." She said, motioning to her glass. She sighed as she looked out at the night sky, the moonlight shining over her.

"Well..I do believe that the power to forgive is a strong one. It takes a lot for someone to do so." She began. "But I think I've used that 'power' too much and enough is enough. Trust me, I know we all make mistakes. But I don't know, Jason. You locked me up for a month-"

"It would've happened anyway." I interrupted her and instantly regret it.

"I'd rather a stranger lock me up than someone I loved."

Loved?

I let out a breath I didn't even know I held back.

"I'm so tired. Of everything. I have days where I don't even get out of bed or wish I'd just stay asleep. And I've felt like this before we even met. Just..why couldn't I save her..?"

"Save who?"

She looked at me and sighed into a smile, her arms wrapped around her as the breeze hit us.

"I'll never forgive you for doing that..but I do understand where you came from. Believe me, Jason, I do." She looked up at me. "Just forget me, okay? And I'll forget you."

She walked back inside, heels slamming on the floor. I pinched the bridge of my nose and quietly cursed.

Why did the conversation have to go like that?