The 2nd Most Important Doctor's Appointment Ever

"Ezra! Grab the car seats!" I screamed at him from the hallway of our apartment building. Today is the day that we find out what is wrong with K. I just want my children to be happy, healthy would be nice, but I will love them either way. It is still winter break and 1 week before Christmas, so Hanna and Caleb are going to babysit Avery so we can make Kendall our main priority. "At Haha!" Screamed Avery. Ever since she said Dada, she has been trying to learn other words also. So far, she knows Dada, Mama, Kendall, and Me. The other words are coming along, like Aunt Hanna. Hanna and Caleb walked out to the car and I hugged Han. "You sure you got her? I can get Spence to come help." She interrupted and said," I got her. Anyways, I have Caleb, who has the mind of a one year old." He looked up from cooing at the twins and said," Avery said I am very mature! So lay off!" I laughed and Ezra squeezed my hand, symbolizing it was time to go. "We have to get to the pediatrician! You two will be the first to know what is going on when we find out. Thank you two sooo much again!" Hanna and Caleb took turns giving me hugs and Ezra took Hanna into a small embrace and grabbed my hand again. When we got back into the car, the dams in my eyes holding back the tears that have gathered over the past 17 years of my life gave in and alligator tears began trickling down my face. "Aria. Look at me. Everything is going to be okay. If Kendall has a problem, we will be a little upset but we will fight it." I looked at the little human being laying before me. Her eyes were closed and her head was being supported by the sides of her car seat. She is so vulnerable and tiny. I will protect her with my life. I have to be strong for the both of us.

"Kendall Montgomery-Fitz?" I looked up at the nurse and said," It's just Fitz. No Montgomery." She shook her head and smiled back at me. "We are going to take you over to the hospital side of this office. Just in case we need to call a specialist in." Oh my God! Do they already think my kid is defective? Do I look like I contain horrible genes? "Aria!" Said Ezra. I realized I was staring into space, squeezing his hand as hard as I possibly could. "Aria. Please don't worry about it. If there is something wrong with K, we will work through it." The nurse shook her head in agreement and said,"We are going to roll her down to CT. One of you is allowed to come to soothe her, but I suggest mom." I stood up and Ezra kissed my cheek and K's forehead before we left. "I love you two so much. "

"Okay Mom, this is going to scare her, so I need you to stand by the machine and talk to her. She recognizes the sound of your voice as a calming nature. We are going to put her in a smaller machine than they do for adults. We are also going to attach some wire-like things to her head to see how her neurons react to the stimulus and then on her legs because of her not being able to crawl at 9 months. You said your other one was already talking, correct?" I nodded my head and she put Kendall down on the table. "Kendall honey, this is all going to be okay. We just wanna see what is going on in your little head. Just calm down and it will be over before you know it." I managed to squeak out of my throat. I don't know how mothers of sick children do it. Watch their child fight horrible battles and sometimes not make it out on top. I don't know how some parents have the heart to lose their child and want to ever live another day themselves. Just looking at this beautiful mix of Ezra and I, if I had one wish, it would be to swap places with my kid at this very moment. Or to take away her pain. "Okay Mom, we are about to fire up the machine. She is probably going to cry her eyes out and scream, so we need to you to keep talking. I know this is super hard for you to have to go through and I know, as a mother, your first instinct is going to be screaming and yelling for me to pull her out. I promise this is just a new experience for her and she is not going to like it at all. Just take deep breaths and babble senseless stuff to her. You ready?" I wiped a cascading tear from my face and nodded my head. I need to be strong enough for the both of us. I know Ezra is trying to be strong enough for the 3 of us, but he isn't capable of all of that strength. I need to help support this family right now more than I have ever before. I need to be the superman of this family for the next 5 minutes more than I will for the next 18 years of my life. I heard the machine power up and the screams at the same time. "K, calm down. It just wants to take pictures of your beautiful face." I kept blabbing things I can't even recall because in those 3 minutes, all I could hear was my daughter, my love, screaming like she has never before. "Okay Mom, when she comes out, just slowly pick her up to ensure her soothing." As soon as the machine whipped her halfway out, I grabbed my miracle and put her head on my heart. Where it belongs. "We are going to roll her back down to the room. You can push if you'd like"

"Okay. Hello! I am Dr. Shilling. I have the results of Kendall's CT Scan. If you look closely at her brain, she has little black dots scattered around her cerebrum. This is trauma from most likely child birth. She will most likely have little to no movement in her legs and will not be able to walk as far as I can tell. I am mostly concerned about paralysis. I believe that she is not paralyzed, but she will never be able to interpret the movement and she is also the same way with speaking. Did you have a rough delivery?" I looked at Dr. Shilling with tears running down my cheeks and said," I have a disease that doesn't come into effect until I go into labor. I did this to her?" I looked at Ezra and his eyes were puffy red and he was past crying. He still held my hand as firmly as he did when I found out I was pregnant. "Please don't tell me this has nothing to do with her age. I could never live with myself if it is." The doctor shook his head and said,"No, it has to do with the rough labor the baby went through and she probably had an undiscovered brain contusion that was just not visible during that chaotic time. So the other twin, Avery, is already talking and in the process of walking?" We shook our heads and he resumed," okay. She is perfectly fine at the moment from all I have heard about her. Kendall however, is disabled and will most likely be mentally retarded. I am so sorry." That was the breaking point. I took my daughter into my arms and began crying like I never have before. "Kendall, I want you to know that I love you so so much and I am so so sorry I did this to you. I didn't mean to! It wasn't your fault..." Ezra interrupted me and put his face to mine and said," Aria, this is not your fault either. It is not anyone's fault. I love you so much Ar and I will not let you believe this is anywhere near your fault." I smiled and kissed Ezra and then my beautiful Kendall on her forehead. We will make it through alive and stronger.

This one took super super long and I am so so sorry! It would have taken even longer if I was not inspired by the fact I am at 9k reads! And you guys are pretty insistent I put a chapter up! It will get better! Don't worry! Be happy❤️