O.W.Ls

The next day, Ron's euphoria at helping Gryffindor scrape the Quidditch cup doesn't allow him to settle to anything. All day, he wants to recount the match, and there's not a moment to explain we didn't actually see because we were threatened by centaurs and almost stomped on by Hagrid's giant half-brother.

The four of us are sat by the lake underneath a tree, revising. Or rather, we're supposedly revising, Ron is talking loudly.

"I wasn't feeling so confident cos I'd already let one of Davies' in, but when Bradley came towards me, I just thought to myself I could do it, and had a feeling he was feinting so went left instead, his right, and well, you saw what happened." He concludes modestlt, unnecessarily sweeping his hair back to create an interesting windswept look as a group of Slytherins and Hufflepuffs pass me.

Amongst those are Iris and Allison, who wave at us as they pass. Harry smirks slightly, looking at Ron, and although he says nothing, I'm guessing he's thinking of his Dad.

He was quite insistent about that point when he was ranting about what he'd seen in Snape's mind.

"Brinley, he kept messing up his hair!"

He sounded so pained at the time.

"Did you see the look on Chang's face when Ginny caught the Snitch from right under her nose?"

Harry bitterly bites back, "Suppose she cried, did she?"

"Yeah, more out of temper than anything though. You saw her chuck her broom away when she got back to the ground, didn't you?"

The three of us exchange looks, then Hermione sighs heavily, "Actually Ron, we didn't see... We didn't see the match."

Ron seems to wilt with disappointment, and I regret what we did instantly.

"Well no, but Ron, we didn't want to leave, we had to!"

His face goes red slightly, and it's hard to tell whether it's out of sadness or anger.

"Yeah? How come?" He asks passive aggressively, but you can't blame him.

Harry sighs, "It was Hagrid. He decided to tell us why he's been covered in injuries since he got back. He wanted us to go with him into the Forest, could hardly say no. He was talking about getting chucked out and- anyway."

The story is told is five minutes, by the end of which Ron's indignation is replaced with a look of complete incredulity.

"He bought one back and hid it in the Forest?"

Grimly, Harry says, "Yes."

"No," Ron almost gasps, as though he can make it untrue, "No, he can't have!"

"Well, he has," Hermione concludes with a level of sass, "Grawp's about sixteen feet tall, enjoys ripping twenty-two foot pines from the ground, and knows me," she snorts, "As Hermy."

Ron laughs nervously, "And Hagrid wants us to...?"

"Teach him English, yeah." I breathe out with a half giggle.

Sounding almost awed, "He's lost his mind."

Hermione laughs, half amused, with a nod as she turns the page, "Yes, I'm starting to think he is. Still, we promised."

"Well we'll have to break it, and besides, the centaurs... exams are coming up, and we're about this far," his thumb and forefinger almost touch, "from being thrown out as it is. Remember Norbert? Aragog? Blast-Ended Skrewts? Have we ever been better off mixing with his monster mates? All that's different this time is we'll get Brinley killed as well."