Christmas on the Closed Ward

The reception is decked out with festive decorations, the floating crystal orbs that illuminate the hospital now red and gold. Holly is hung on most doorways, and enchanted snowflakes drift through the air.

In the ward, Lupin had moved over to converse with the werewolf, while Mrs Weasley became enraged with her husband as he mentioned he'd attempted stitches.

Bill stands up hurriedly, muttering something about a cup of tea, and the twins salute me then quickly follow.

"It sounds as though you've been trying to sew your skin back together," Mrs Weasley snorts, "But even you, Arthur, wouldn't be that stupid-"

"You know, I fancy some tea too." Harry almost jumps to his feet as Mrs Weasley's volume increases.

Hermione, Ron, Ginny and I practically sprint to the door as she shrieks, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S THE GENERAL IDEA?"

We reach the fourth floor (tea room is on the fifth) when my heart lurches. Through the glass, right in the back corner, my sister sits staring out a window. Noticing me stopping, the others approach me, catching sight of someone standing right by the glass.

"Blimey!" Ron says.

"Oh my goodness. Professor Lockhart!" Hermione gasps.

Wearing a long lilac dressing gown, our old Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor pushes through the door to greet us.

"Hello there! I expect you'd like my autograph would you?"

"Hasn't changed much, has he?" I catch Harry's whisper to Ginny.

A Healer comes out to escort us back in, assuming we're there to visit him in the closed ward.

"This is our long term residents' ward. For permanent spell damage you know. Of course we can help with potions and spells and reconditioning therapy, but they tend to be here a lot longer." She says lowly to us. It's clear that it's much more personal than the other wards.

"I know." I say quietly, and that's when Hermione catches on, eyes scanning the ward. There's not many others there, so it's not hard to pick out.

A man named Broderick Bode received a calender and a pot plant, while Agnes (a woman who's entire face was covered in fur) was given the news her son was coming to visit later.

And then, when the Healer says "Mrs Longbottom" everyone turns to see a thoroughly depressed looking Neville accompanied by someone who must be his Grandmother.

Of course, I know why he's there, but the others don't, and Ron calls him over before I can signal him off.

"Ah, you must be Neville's friends. Harry Potter, of course. Weasleys, and Hermione Granger, very talented. You must be... ah, Brinley Fern. Yes, yes Neville speaks very highly of all of you."

She then reveals that Mr Longbottom is at the end of the ward, to which Ron says, slightly in disbelief "Is your Dad here Neville?"

"Have you not told your friends about your parents, Neville?" She says sharply, "Nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud, Neville! Proud to be their son."

"I'm not ashamed." Neville replies faintly.

"My son and his wife," She turns to us, "Were tortured to insanity by the Lestranges. Respected Aurors."

Ron, Hermione and Ginny look shocked, of course I knew, but apparently so did Harry. And I know Neville didn't tell him, which means someone else did.

I'm placing my bet on Dumbledore.

"Alice, dear what is it?" Mrs Longbottom turns to Neville's Mother, who smiles every so lightly and hands an empty sweet wrapper to Neville. She doesn't speak.