Birthday

On the evening of September nineteenth, I excitedly shove on a dress and a jacket, grab my present and rush out of the Hufflepuff dorms and common room before anyone can process my blurred movements. Allison, who evidently is exhausted, calls out a lazy bye as she flops dramatically on the sofa.

Early this morning, I sent Hannah's owl (which she kindly lent me) to drop a note by her bed, so she'd see it when she returned to her dorms after classes. I already asked Pavarti to make sure she went up there - she said she would, but she was clearly confused.

The note tells her to come to the Astronomy Tower, where she'll arrive in about ten minutes, according to the time I wrote in the note, six. She's never late - it's lucky she's so consistent.

In those ten minutes, I have a lot to do. Not being on speaking terms with my Dad, and my Mum not being able to give me much, I was a bit tight on money this year. I managed to get some extra by helping out in various Hogsmeade establishments, but it wasn't enough for a huge gift, so I've got some extra things to do to make up for it.

Firstly, decorations. Using my wand, I successfully hang fairy lights from the roof, spiralling them down the pillars which connect to the railing, which is covered in her favourite flowers - violets and white roses. I also lay blankets across the whole floor, nobody wants to sit on cold stone.

Secondly, food. Having made friends with the house eleves in my first year, they were more than willing to help. In a letter she'd sent over the summer (while she was still at her parent's house), she went into great detail about the muggle food she'd missed, so I have that packed into a picnic basket which the eleves left up here for me.

Lastly, the present. Obviously, it's nothing much, but I poured all my savings into this. It was extremely hard to acquire and it's a muggle book, and I can't access the muggle world, so I had to enlist Austin's help. He switched our money into their's in Diagon Alley, and had to blend in with a muggle auction - I think Mum helped him. I couldn't help but giggle at the title as I was wrapping it earlier - muggles come up with some funny things.

Proud of what I've accomplished in eight minutes, I wait for her to get here, nervously pacing.

What if she doesn't like it?

As usual, I start to overthink until I walk into the railing and almost fall over it. Right, time to sit down. Excitement bubbles in my stomach as I wait, which doesn't mix well with the nervousness.

The handle on the door slowly moves down as brown curls come into view. Hermione peers around the side before entering fully.

She looks wide-eyed around the tower, smiling brightly as she takes it in.

"Brinley... this is beautiful." She breathes, carefully walking over, trailing her fingers along the flowers and fairy lights.

Carefullty, she sits down cross-legged in front of me. She picked up one of the white roses, gently turning it over in her fingers.

"Happy Birthday." I whisper softly, "Here I got you something."

I hand her the parcel which she carefully unwraps, holding the old book gently with a smile. She takes it from me slowly, handing me the rose, and her breath catches as she opens the gift.

"You remembered."

"Of course I did." I smile, secretly pocketing the flower.

The book is very old, but in relatively good condition. It's been rebound in navy leather, but the print on the cover is original, a single pumpkin in a carriage, and the delicate, ornate text 'Cinderella'.

She once mentioned to me that she hated muggle fairytales and how they presented girls, but she went on to explain there was one exception. Even though it was very idealistic beauty based, she said the story always held a special place in her heart. She never told me why, but it didn't matter.

"Thank you... so much." She says quietly, turning to me with a warm smile.

As the evening progresses, we eat and talk, but when we're finished, neither of us want to go.

"Do you know the story?" Hermione asks, and I shake my head.

"No, my Mum never read us muggle tales."

With a smile, she beckons me closer.

"Do you want me to?"

I nod carefully, not wanting to ruin the moment.

A few minutes later, I'm laying with my head in her lap and she's holding the book in one hand, and playing with my hair with the other.

The story is fascinating, but after a few pages, I can only focus on her voice, and the way her face lights up as she reads. She seems so purely happy, the stress lifting from her eyes as she journeys through the story, completely relaxed.

I'm not asleep, but I almost am. It's warm and comfortable, and her words are coaxing me into a calm, dazed state.

Occasionally, she'll stop reading to check I'm awake.

Eventually, after hours, we have to pack everything up, as breakfast begins at six, it's now half two, and we don't want to get caught. Seeing as we started reading at nine, we're almost at the end of the book, though I honestly didn't catch much of the plot.

Before we leave the tower, she gently puts her hand on my cheek and kisses me, as I wrap my arms around her neck.

"Thank you Brin, this was perfect." She leans her forward against mine.

"I'm happy you liked it." I smile.

Hermione walks me back to the Hufflepuff area, kissing me on the cheek before rushing away at the sound of Mrs Norris's footsteps. Pawsteps?

Walking back into my dorm room, I wake Allison up accidentally when I pass her bed.

"Brinley, you've just got back? You left at like six yesterday, and it's," she checks her watch and looks up at me in shock, "It's three in the morning! You were gone eight hours."

I smile sheepishly, moving through the room, and as she peers closer, she smirks.

"Your lipgloss is smudged."

I blush and quickly try to fix it with the back of my hand as she laughs.

"What were you and Hermione doing for so long?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

"Just reading, get your mind out of the gutter." I roll my eyes, swinging into bed after changing my clothes.

"I'm just saying, she's sixteen."

"Alright, go back to sleep Allison." I tut, but we both laugh before settling down. My head on the pillow, I scoff internally; Hermione's lap is better.

With a happy smile on my face, I fall into a comfy, dreamless sleep.

❤💛❤💛

Pfshiackgahaaidoaocha I'm so gay.

Moving on 😅...

A quick update cos there was a bit of a wait for the last one 🥰.

Hope you're enjoying 😊!