The Woes of Mrs Weasley

It's the very last day of the holidays when Ginny comes into the bedroom where Hermione and I are dusting, armed with three wax-sealed envelopes in her hand. She chucks the ones with our names on over to us.

Mine contains three pieces of parchment. One, the usual reminder term starts on September first, two, the books I'll need for the coming year, and lastly, the letter confirming I'm the Hufflepuff Quidditch team Captain.

"Hey! I'm a Prefect!" Hermione yelps excitedly, holding the scarlet badge in the palm of her hand.

"Well done." I laugh, as she runs out of the room to see the boys. I follow her up, and we discover Ron is the other Prefect.

"Ginny said the booklists came at last, if you give them to me I'll take them to Diagon Alley this afternoon while your packing. Ron, I'll need to get you new pyjamas, these are two inches too short, I can't believe how fast you're growing!" Mrs Weasley bustles into the room with a wash basket, which she starts folding clothes out of.

"Get him red and gold to match his badge." George smirks.

"Match his what?"

"His badge. His lovely shiny new Prefect's badge." Just by the tone in Fred's voice I know I'm going to be putting out fires all year between them and Ron.

"His- but... Ron you're not...?" Ron holds up his badge and Mrs Weasley lets out a delighted kind of shriek.

"I don't believe it! Oh Ron, how wonderful! That's everyone in this family!"

"What are Fred and I, next-door neighbours?" George shouts indignantly, which Mrs Weasley ignores.

She hesitantly promises him a new broom before she leaves to get ready for Diagon Alley. The twins start to mock him viciously before apparating away with a crack.

"I'll go talk to them." I groan, ascending the stairs to their bedroom.

They eye me carefully when I come in.

"Ok, ok, we know what you're going to say."

"Do you?"

"Don't be mean, blah, take it easy on him, blah, you could be Prefects too, blah."

"Erm... no. Especially not that last one, you two couldn't behave if you wanted too. What I'm trying to say is, don't ruin this for him. Bill's the oldest, head boy, Charlie's great at Quidditch, amazing dragonologist, you two have your knack for jokes and pranks, and Ginny's the youngest, the only girl, and a pretty great dueller. Ron is always being overshadowed, and whether you like it or not, he's finally beaten his family and Harry at something, and you can't go around bullying him for it. He isn't you, he's your brother. Please don't ruin this for him."

They look at each other, then at me.

"Fine."

"Great." I say, bouncing onto George's bed with a grin.

"And I am... Quidditch Captain!" I punctuate my statement with weird jazz hands, causing them to snort before they realise what I said.

"Wait - Captain?"

"Yup!"

"It's a shame we'll have to knock off half your team with bludgers." Fred sighs comically.

"Such a shame." George muses.

"Yeah, we'll see about that." I laugh.

❤💛❤💛

At the small dinner party for Ron and Hermione, Fred rolls his eyes but doesn't say anything.