It'll Be Fine

Maya was pacing around her boyfriend's apartment. Today she was going to introduce him to her parents, and she was very nervous to say the least. "Are you ready to go?" Maya heard.

"No," she said, seeing her boyfriend, Kailer, walk out his room.

"Why?" he said.

"You're not going to meet my parents wearing those," she told him pointing at his feet. He looked down to see he was still wearing his brown slide on house shoes.

"Go put on some actual shoes," she said, "Preferably, the light blue, white, and grey ones. They'll match your shirt."

     A few minutes later he came out with the shoes and started putting them on. "Okay so, I don't think you'll have any problems with my dad, but my mom is probably gonna scare you," she explained, "As long as you don't panic, we should be good." Kailer just nodded.

"I'm definitely the one who's gonna panic," he whispered under his breath.

"I heard that," she said from her spot on the couch. Once he finished tying his shoes, they got in his car and left.

     Maya let out a long, deep, breath before knocking on her parents door. "Hey!" her father answered the door.

"Hey, Papa," she responded with the same amount of enthusiasm. Anthony hugged her and Kailer before letting them in the door.

"Mama, hey!" she said walking over and hugging her mom.

"Hey, baby!" she said.

"So... where's the boy?" Jasmine asked. Maya pointed to the living room where you could see her boyfriend and father talking and laughing on the couch.

"I guess your pa likes him, and he's cute enough. His hair needs help," she said, watching the scene in front of her.

"I know, I told him to get a new barber weeks ago," Maya told her mom.

     Meanwhile, across the room, Anthony and Kailer were having a different conversation. "You know their like watching your every move right?" Anthony almost laughed.

"Yeah, Before we got here, Maya told me to not let my fear show, or I would be kicked to the curb," he laughed.

"That's probably true. I'm married to her, and I'm still scared of her, terrified even," Anthony said.

"I'm lowkey scared of Maya," Kailer laughed. Right as they were about to start up another conversation they were interrupted by the sound of arguing coming from the kitchen.

"Ma, listen to me. You do not put ranch on pizza," Maya tried to say calmly.

"You know what, you don't belong to me anymore. You're no longer my child. Kailer, I'm adopting you, you're now my son! You can be my daughter-in-law," Jasmine responded. Maya just scoffed and walked into the living room.

"Yo, your house is fun," Kailer laughed as he watched her walk over to him. Maya just huffed at him.

     They all sat there waiting on Jasmine to bring the pizza into the living room. While she waited, Maya examined the scene around her. Her parents were there, and they were happy as always. She was happy. Her boyfriend was there and he was happy too. Everyone was just happy. "I guess I was worried for no reason," she thought to herself.