42: Not Scared, Part 2

Before I had the chance to ruin Dominic's one plan and knock on the door myself, he did himself. I knew that the talisman was almost, if not completely, as connected to him as it was to me, but it was still mine, and Jack and Sierra were my friends, not his. Of course, that take-charge-of-his-own-future attitude is probably what attracted me in the first place, but it was still annoying.

"What if they're not here? What if they're halfway to the lawless land of Seattle to start a new life?" Dominic asked, even though he didn't give anyone the chance to answer the door.

"Seattle? What's the point of kidnapping people, crossing state lines, and going to Seattle? That's much worse than regular kidnapping," I said.

"Isn't there an indie music scene in Seattle that would definitely attract some unknown West Coast musicians?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"You're not a very supportive best friend."

"I'm working on it, okay?" Why was he so obsessed with making me a better person when the reason we liked each other was that we were both kinda sucky? "If I was so unsupportive, why would I be—"

The door opened and cut me off before I could remind Dominic why we were there. Harvey stood there with his chin tilted down and to the side, almost like he was surprised that I did the dumbest thing I could have done in the situation.

I smiled. At least I wasn't dumb enough to kidnap two people over a piece of metal. It was always uncomfortable when I wasn't the craziest person in the conversation, but I had gotten used to the odd sensation with Dominic. Harvey? Not so much.

"Lindsay? What the hell are you doing—" Harvey began, but I interrupted.

"What are you doing? You really thought the best way to get my attention would be to kidnap two of my best friends?" I glanced over at Dominic for a second. He shook his head, but I wasn't really sure what that meant. Or maybe I was, and I just didn't care. "What do you want from me?"

"You know exactly what I want. The screeching sound equipment, the lights going out, Roberts's heart attack? James has those pictures of the mystery medallion that he got from the anthropology department in his office, and he's not supposed to throw the student who found it under the bus. But if you put it all together, that shit wasn't random, and it traces back to you having a little meltdown over the situations."

James? Was I missing a piece to the puzzle here?

He must have caught some confusion on my face, because he clarified, "James Rainier."

That made sense. I was hoping Harvey wouldn't put all that information together the same way it took Dr. Reed, Dominic, Sierra, Jack, and me a while to figure it all out, but he had the head start of not liking me.

What was I even supposed to say? Lying wasn't going to bail me out, and I couldn't just run into the house, find Sierra and Jack, run back out, then live happily ever after.

Talisman, talisman. What could I even wish to get me out of this situation?

Dominic told me that magic wasn't going to undo the mess it made in the first place, but what choice did I have?

Every single time I got myself into a mess that I couldn't get out of, the talisman somehow made it better and worse.

Talisman, please do me a favor and—

"I really think we should just—" Dominic began, but I shushed him. Didn't he know I was concentrating on the exact thing he told me not to do?

—please do me a favor and erase the memory of the person named Harvey standing right in front of me. I'm fairly certain Jack told me that his birthday is sometime in April if that helps for identification purposes. Ideally, the best time to cut off his memories would be around seventy-two hours ago, but I'm willing—